3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dogs in the bed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Stroker
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dogs in the bed

In AR it is a $5000 fine if they are not secured. I plan to mount a d-ring in the front and back with a run between it. Leave a hook on the run and a 12" leash and its legal. Safe? Probably not in a wreck but what would make it safe for a dog?

Old 11-02-2006, 09:47 PM
motorider228
Champion

Yeah I had a friend who had just picked up a dog for her birthday and they were in her moms truck and they got hit by another driver and my friends mom and the dog died and my friend lived so a loose dog isn't too safe anywhere in a vehicle.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:19 PM
damquick1
Veteran

that's terrible, I too had a friend whom was on her way to the convienance store with her wiener dog in the back seat when she got rear ended by a 1 ton truck, the girl was okay (minor injuries) but the dog went trough the winshield and into the road...it was ugly. Back home we got dog boxes too, but i've seen plenty of accidents where the dogs got hurt cause the boxes slid in the rear of the bed. My lab always had his place on the seat with his leash attached to the center seatbelt strap while it was pulled tight. may not have saved him if any accident happened, but at least he wasn't gunna get thrown out of the vehicle very easily.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:19 PM
COWBOY10

Been putting St. Bernards in the back of the truck w/o any type of restraint for years (only 2 at a time). But I really don't worry about them jumping out and they love to stick there nose over the rail and drool all over the truck!!! They seem to love it and haven't ever tried to jump (even when the truck is not moving).

Old 11-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

back when my dad had his dakota, we were driving into beaumont with our lab to visit my dads grandpa (my great grandpa obviously) because he didnt have long left and the dog was originally his but when he got too old to take care of it he gave it to us. he loved that dog so much so when we were on the way to his house i look in the rear view and on the highway, while were doing 70 the dog is standing on my dads toolbox. we pulled over and stuffed her in the cab which wasnt too comfortable in a reg cab but was the only safe way to do it. i always let my dogs ride inside since i have the room and dont have to worry about them jumping out or anything like that.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 AM
cbrewer954
Professional

I have a rope tied from side to side up front of the bed and leash my dog in the middle of it. Keep the leash just long enough so he can see over the side and that's it. No way he's jumping out. In CA they have to be leashed in to carry them.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:22 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

I bought the quad cab to carry kids and the dog in the back. I fold up the rear seats and carry a dog bed on the floor most of the time. I just don't feel comfortable with the dog tied in the bed. He's also a biter, so there are liability issues too. If you reach inside my truck and he bites, It's your fault...
I am also considering the BesTop soft top for trucks. I saw one of those and they look nice, and fold up if you need to use the bed for other things.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand your concern. We have an Akita. The biggest reason I HAD to have a cap for my truck is the dog. When my wife and I head out for a fishing trip or vacation, the back of the truck is the "kennel on wheels ". I load the dog and the cat-----yes, the cat too, in a carrier, and off we go. All the gear either goes behind the seat or gets packed into the fishing boat. It actually works out pretty well. Only draw back is the age of the dog----11 1/2 yrs. Has a hard time getting in, so now its down to ramps. If you do opt to run with the dog in the back, get a rubber bed mat. The spray in liner is really hard on the pads, and it gives them a more secure stance. If you don't have the liner, the rubber bed mat saves your paint. If you have a drop in liner-----the animal will slide all over the place!!!!!

Personally, my vote goes to the cap.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:04 PM
nos4fuel
Veteran

I would get a truck canopy, like the ones made by Leer and put the dog in there. I'm fairly sure that you can remove the back window that touches the tailgate so that the dog can look out but i doubt that he would jump. Guys, I think we should just face it that dogs in the truck wether in the cab or bed on anything more than a short grocery run, is not safe in any form. Pets and vehicles dont work at all. If you love the dog, I think the only thing you can do is to leave him at home and then when you have time, take him for a short 10 minute drive with the windows down.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:25 PM
RUNOVRYOU
Rookie

[IMG]local://upfiles/31579/37BAAB32BE7B4A7780CF73A9D8A69777.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Dogs in the bed