3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'06 Power Wagon Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Claw
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Power Wagon Oil Filter

Already searched. As far as I've been able to tell, it seems the Power Wagon uses the same size oil filter as the 4.0L in my '02 Jeep Wrangler. In my Jeep, I've been running the larger-sized Bosch 3500, equivalent to the Motorcraft FL1A. Will I be O.K. using that same size filter on my Hemi?

Old 11-07-2006, 12:29 AM
reiderr
Professional
Default RE: '06 Power Wagon Oil Filter

I use the Mobil-1 M1-301 on my 05 Hemi which I believe is equivalent to the FL1A, the Purolator L30001, and the Fram PH8. Only difference is you'll need to add another 1/2 quart to account for the larger filter.

Roger...

Note: all 3 filters cited are "oversized" filters. The stock size filters are Mobil M1-204, Fram PH16, Purolator L14670. Sorry for the confusion. Since the referenced post cited FL1A--which is an oversized filter, I thought the discussion was about oversized filters vs. stock sized.

Note: I use an oversized filter because I tend to do 6k mi OCIs and want as much filtration as possible. The extra 1/2 quart of oil may also help a little. But, that's not my primary reason. I have observed that the % insolubles in my UOAs--a measure of filtration--declined significantly when I moved to an oversized filter. Note: YMMV...

Old 11-07-2006, 12:53 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fram ph-8 is a ford filter....did not know if fits on the 5.7... Last oil change I used the mopar filter... most likely made by some one else.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:33 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

The Hemi already holds 7 qts. Do you really need that tiny bit more oil capacity? I wouldn't try to fill it to the top of the dipstick either, and risk over filling.
I stick to the stock size filter and change it and the oil (Mobil 1) at 3-4k miles. I use the K&N HP-2004. If the cost is prohibitive, the Mopar filters are good and available at Walmart at reasonable $.

FYI FramFans: I wouldn't put a FRAM spin-on type filter on a lawnmower. Cut one open and see how cheap they are made. I've seen big metal shavings on the threads of new ones. No quality to control.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Claw
Rookie

ORIGINAL: JRH_PowerWagon_06

The Hemi already holds 7 qts. Do you really need that tiny bit more oil capacity? I wouldn't try to fill it to the top of the dipstick either, and risk over filling.
I stick to the stock size filter and change it and the oil (Mobil 1) at 3-4k miles. I use the K&N HP-2004. If the cost is prohibitive, the Mopar filters are good and available at Walmart at reasonable $.

FYI FramFans: I wouldn't put a FRAM spin-on type filter on a lawnmower. Cut one open and see how cheap they are made. I've seen big metal shavings on the threads of new ones. No quality to control.
Well, as long as it doesn't hurt anything, I figure even a slight benefit is still a benefit. That's why I use the larger Bosch filter. Maybe the extra media will hold a little more stuff. Plus, it has a partially synthetic media, so that seems a little better than a "regular" filter, and the cost is still pretty reasonable. I know it's not as good (or expensive) as a K&N or Mobil 1, but I change the oil every 3K with Mobil 1, so I figure I should be O.K. If I can get some benefit for reasonable additional cost, that seems to make sense. Your way makes sense too, though, so I guess it's just personal preference. Most of the people I know think it's an unnecessary waste of money for me to buy a Power Wagon, but we know better, don't we?[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 11-07-2006, 01:49 PM
motorhead426
All Star

Mopar only uses 3 different size filters. A small one for the neon, and PT (4 cylinders), a long narrow one for the 3.7 like on the Liberty, and the large one for the other V6 and V8 cars and trucks. The Viper 'might' be different, but they all use the same thread pattern. I know this because I used to run the larger filters on my neon for a while, but then I lowered it, and was worried about road debris knocking it off. So the Jeeps and Hemi's use the same filter.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Claw
Rookie

Thanks, Motorhead. Good info. Ann Arbor, huh? I used to live in Ypsilanti. Graduated from EMU. I moved to SW Colorado (Ouray/Telluride area) a few years ago mostly for the four-wheeling and scenery.[sm=hail.gif]Plus I'm only 3 hours from Moab.[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-07-2006, 09:32 PM
arrowman
Professional

I believe the Fram size is PH16..
As for the poster that knocked Fram... umm.. well.. ok...
They've never let me down, and if I can trust them as warranty compliant on my boat (twin CAT 3196 TA's, $65k each) they're good enough in my vehicles. [8D]

Quick Reply: '06 Power Wagon Oil Filter