3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

slot and drilled or just slotted

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:17 AM
eds2003ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slot and drilled or just slotted

hey guys ,just need some advice on how to go. Was thinking of upgrading my rotors to Power slot rotors but was also thinking of getting the drilled and slotted ones to dissapated more heat. I had the slotted and drilled with EBC break pads on my sports car and they kicked but. Don't know how they will work on a 5k lbs truck ,so need some I input.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:10 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran
Default RE: slot and drilled or just slotted

If it's just normal street use, drilled are ok. I have seen slotted rotors that cracked at a hole. They were all on vehicles that saw hard track use though. I've heard that Slotted (or even plain) ones can crack too, but I have never seen it.

If you do any heavy, long down-hill braking with a load or trailer, I would stay away from cross-drilled.

I have slotted only on my Cobra. Slotting is for keeping the pads "fresh" and venting super-hot boundary layer gasses from the surfaces. Not really a cooling device. I would recommend them. Pads will wear quicker, but that's why it works.

I have used cross-drilled only rotors before, they work good. I would not use the ones that look like they are excessively drilled. You need surface area.
Same thing goes for slotted rotors. The slots shouldn't be wide. Don't need to be.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:30 AM
motorhead426
All Star

I've done a lot of brake jobs, and been happy wth the stock rotors in the past on many different types of vehicles. I've also heard a lot of different opinions on drilled and slotted rotors. Just taking those facts in mind, I don't see myself using the drilled or slotted rotors on any of my vehicles. FYI, as "JRH_PowerWagon_06I" said I do not recommend them for high speed use. Many guys (including the Lemans Porsche Race Team) remove them if they come on the cars from the factory, because they do not hold up to abuse very well. Long story short... Its solid/vented rotors for me.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Powerslot rotors on my last Ram and they sucked. I had to send them back and the company was not easy to work with at all.
I replaced them with some good Wagner rotors and pads.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:13 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

Solid rotors with Ceramic pads. If you just have to be fancy, don't do drilled.

Quick Reply: slot and drilled or just slotted