3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with Mopar Side Steps installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 05:37 AM
revetch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Mopar Side Steps installation

I purchased Mopar side steps adn went to install them today and ran into a problem. I purchased them because they were Mopar and should have just bolted on. There are two bracket arms that attach to the truck and the side step bolts to on of the arms. The bottom arm attaches to the side of the cab (underneath of course) and the 2nd arm is a support arm that attaches the underside of the cab. Each attach by means of slipping a metal plate into a slot on the cab and tighening a bolt that is through the arm itself. Here is my problem: There is a slot where the lower arm attaches to the cab. The upper support arms is supposed to have a corresponding slot on the underside of the cab. In that spot there was a lot of hard rubber sealant in the shape of the slot. I scraped of that sealant and there is a cut out for the slot but on the other side of the cut out is metal. It looks like it might be scored and can be puched out. Before I do that I wanted to see if anybody else has installed these and ran into the same problem. They are going on a 2006 Ram 1500 Quad Cab

Old 11-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Denniss66
Veteran
Default RE: Help with Mopar Side Steps installation

are they running boards or nerf bars. because i installed running boards on my 03 qc ram and they had little brakets that reached to the cab. all i had to do was pull out the little rubber plugs and then there was a bolt with a little plate on the end that i stuck in the holes in the cab. never had no problem with metal being in the way.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:33 PM
claydawg
Rookie

I'm curious about this as well. I was planning on purchasing a set of these steps in the next week or two for my '06 QC. Good luck on it and keep us posted!

Old 11-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My holes were already punched out on both sides and covered by black tape.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
revetch

They are nerf bars. Where you expect to find the rubber plugs on the side of the cab the holes are just covered by tape. Where you expect to find the rubber plugs under the cab there are hard rubber seals in the shape of the slot. When you remove the seals there is the shape of the slot cut into the metal but not through. Looks like it is scored for puching out. Do you know what is on the other side of the metal. I would drill into it and attempt to remove the metal but I don't want to hit any electrical or anything important.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you tap them out with a hammer??

Old 11-08-2006, 06:22 PM
revetch

Tapped out those plugs with a hammer......WARNING.....DON'T DO IT!!! I found the proper holes later and it was not necessary. Now I have 4 holes in the bottom of the cab under the carpet. I don't think it will hurt any thing and I'll cover them with something more permanent later (currently covered by duct tape). Wish I had looked before I leaped!!!

Old 11-12-2006, 05:40 AM
claydawg
Rookie

Glad you figured it out, but sorry for the mishap. How do you like them now that they're on?

Quick Reply: Help with Mopar Side Steps installation