3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Safe Cruising RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Claw
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe Cruising RPMs

I live in the mountains at high elevation, and often need to go several miles on steep grades, sometimes for 15-20 minutes. I've been using tow/haul and O/D off, but what RPM is the maximum I can use for extended periods without damaging anything. Plus, my tach doesn't have a redline on it, which I thought was weird. Should I avoid going past a certain number? This is for an '06 Power Wagon. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:16 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Safe Cruising RPMs

Steep mountain grades can be tricky. I'd just slow down a little and use good judgment. I wouldn't be trying to maintain the speed limit and letting my RPM's stay at 5000+. That just doesn't make any sense.

There is a big difference between towing and dragging. Most don't know the difference.

If it were me, I'd try to keep the revs under 4K and watch the temp gauge like a hawk. How much are you towing?

Old 11-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Doc said above, deffinitely keep it under 4k rpm. While the new engines are capable of being pushed, extended high rpm periods aren't that good for it, especially if its not fully broken in.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Claw
Rookie

Thanks, guys. I don't do much towing, but on high mountain passes (11,000+ feet), even the Hemi loses some of its oomph. I just want to maintain a reasonable balance of speed and RPM that won't hurt anything. For now, I'll just try to keep it under 4K.

Quick Reply: Safe Cruising RPMs