3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help w remote start alarm please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:17 PM
aaronstottle
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help w remote start alarm please!!!!!

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Hey guys, I am in need of some help here...

I got a remote start alarm off of eBay, and I'm having difficulty installing it.
I have the manufacturer's wiring diagram, and I've checked them out here as well (the service manual).

I wired everything up (except the horn) and couldn't get it to work. Spent 6 hours on it.

this is the schematic I got with it.
[IMG][/image

A few things I couldn't figure out were....
Do the door lock/unlock wires need resistors? the bulldog site says they do (this isn't a bulldog alarm, just grasping at straws)
Where is the easiest place to hook up the tach wire (or oil sensor input).
Will it work without a hood pin? there wasn't one with the kit but it did come with the wire (no pin)
Do I need to use the starter kill wiring or can I disregard it? (I'd rather not use that option)Any help would be awesome!
Thanks in advance!
Stottle

[IMG]local://upfiles/46337/BF24CF841AC445508C02B988F1113F6D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-12-2006, 09:20 PM
aaronstottle
Professional
Default RE: Need help w remote start alarm please!!!!!

By the way, I forgot to mention that this is a THOR remote start/ car alarm being sold on ebay...
I hope I didn't get a chinese piece of crap.... Anybody else buy a THOR?

Old 11-14-2006, 11:21 PM
damquick1
Veteran

I got two werds fer ya, twice...Circut City...or....Best Buy......and yep you need some other stuff...hope ya didn't pay too much fer it

Old 11-14-2006, 11:54 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to second damquick1's reply. With all the time you spent on installing this alarm, you could have taken the vehicle and the alarm and to either Circuit city or Best buy's, and for $25.00 they would have installed it for you, pain/agravation free.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
eltupac
All Star

I dont know which boondocks bestbuy you guys go to, but here the price for install at a ****ey shop is $100, so BB or CC will be double that. Most of them dont do it for insurance reasons. Look guy:

The tach can be attached to the body of the car, at least in my 1500 alarm, all I did was connect to the body. Check to see whether the input is negative or positive, in or out of the alarm unit.

The hood, unless you dont want it, I dont know why you wouldnt, but you can fool it to read open all the time. That way you dont have install it, otherwise just do it. It is better to have more safety features than none.

Door lock, again is it a + or -. Find the wire that has either a + or - going to your door lock and attach it.

You need the starter kill, listen, you can fool the system to avoid installing all that stuff. In the end you'll have spent the same amount of time. Just install everything that came with the system. Also, I am not accountable for anything you do, I am just suggesting, you do what you want to do. I read the schematics you posted, a little more complicated than mine. Get the wire diagram for the Ram and you should be fine.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:59 PM
damquick1
Veteran

Let's see, when I bought mine from Best Buy for my F150 it was on sale for $99.00 and came with FREE install, and they did the install in about 30 minutes and there was never a problem with it, even the guy who bought it has not had any trouble. It was well worth it, right now they charge $80.00 to do an install.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:06 PM
aaronstottle
Professional

I have installed stand alone remote starters before, and never had this difficulty. This is a starter / alarm combo - with some features that I'm not accustomed to. I will purchase a hood pin and do it right. I will also hook the tach wire to the coil over spark plug.
(2003 Ram 1500). I've decided to go ahead and install all of the supposed "optional" features, to make this system work.

Does anyone know if I must use relays for the door lock wiring, or are resistors enough?
The system sounds great in theory. 3000 foot range, all sorts of options. But I guess you have to enable them all whether you want them or not. Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:47 PM
eltupac
All Star

Honestly, I dont think you need that. My ram is an ST so I installed A/M actuators, they are easy to tap to lock and unlock. In my wife's 07 Camry, I installed a prestige with remote start. I just tapped the (in her case) negative wire going to the harness where the fuses are, with the alarms lock/unlock, no resistors, nothing. Its been 7 months and everything is fine. I said forget the 2 presses for all doors, just went with one for all. Again the tach, maybe because yours looks like a positive connection. Mine was negative, so the ebay guy that sold it to me, explained to attach it to the body of the car. It worked like magic. I know its frustrating to get it all to work, but when it does, its all worth it, especially when you do it yourself.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:21 PM
HECTOR

HI I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN SEND ME THE THOR MANUL TO THE REMOTE START ALARM. I BOUGHT IT OFF OF EBAY AND IT DID NOT COME WITHONE,THE INSTALLER TOLD ME HE NEEDS ITTO INSTALL

Quick Reply: Need help w remote start alarm please!!!!!