3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Wagon Winch No Workie

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Rgory
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Wagon Winch No Workie

Ok so I figured I would post here in hopes of not starting a new thread...

I finally got the chance to use the winch on my Power Wagon last weekend. A buddy was stuck in his dump truck up to the frame rails. I pulled him out no problem with a couple of long winch pulls. I was stopping to let the winch cool/give it a break but thermal cut-out did go out once. No problem. Things went well, except for me messing up the last 15 feet of the winch cable.

When I got home I unspooled it all and re wound it with some tension on the cable- NO PROBLEMS.

A week later, today, I went to use the winch to pull out a small fence post footing. It unspooled fine and was working good at first, however after some time I noticed that it was spooling in intermintently, finally it wouldnt do anything at all except click the solenoids.

So I finish what I needed to do without the winch and open it up the control box- What a joy that is to get too. The unspooling feature still works great so I know there is power and good ground. However when you spool in it just didnt close the solenoid. The solenoid seemed to be getting power but wouldnt close the circuit. I am thinking maybe thermal overload? But why would it not work a week later... Anyone have any ideas before I take it to the dealer.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 05-06-2007, 06:10 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a pic of the winch on the truck.....Also, how much weight does the winch weigh, and how much stress does it put on the front end?

Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Seems that there is a lot of grounding issues with those winches...

Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Rgory
Rookie

Which was my original thinking, I heard the solenoid clicking just not activating the winch, must be a loose connection somewehre. However after reading the service manual last night it would seem that I blew the thermal overload and the motor will have to be replaced. The manual talks about the thermal overload allowing it to spool out just not in.

I'll let you know what the dealership says.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Power Wagon Winch No Workie