3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Wagon Winch No Workie

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Claw
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Wagon Winch No Workie

I've had my Power Wagon for a week and a half now, and just got around to putting on the winch hook yesterday (no, the dealer hadn't already done it). I free spooled it out a little and hooked the cable to the tow hook. When I went to reel it back in, nothing. I'm familiar with how Warn winches work, I have one on my TJ. I even tried using the remote from my Jeep just in case the remote was bad. Still nothing. The switch lever on the winch was set correctly, and I checked the battery connections. The engine was running. I even tried different settings like 4WD, tranny gears, etc. thinking that there was some special combination I needed. I checked the underhood fuse panel, but didn't see any labeled for winch. Is there another fuse/relay panel somewhere else? Is there an inline fuse somewhere on the winch? I looked, but couldn't find one. I have a Deka Intimidator battery, but it's rated for just as many amps, and I can't believe that would be the problem. I'd rather not have to take it to the stealership, because they'll probably charge me labor because of the brushguard I had installed. I'm hoping another Power Wagon owner will know of some simple trick.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:22 PM
HemiBuell
Captain
Default RE: Power Wagon Winch No Workie

I'm not familiar with the power wagon winch, but on other winches I always check to see if the solenoids are clicking. Then you know which way to start checking.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Claw
Rookie

There was no clicking. Nothing at all. Totally dead.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:37 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

So you're not getting power to the solenoids/relays.

I would
check grounds
jump the solenoids to check them
check fuses and connections

Warranty's are great, pull the brush guard and have the dealership fix it.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its too new. Let the dealer worry about fixing it.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Claw
Rookie

Normally, you guys would be right about just letting the dealer fix it. Where I live, the nearest dealer is 45 minutes away, and it's not a very good dealership to say the least. They'd probably make me drop it off, leave it while their shop monkeys fumble around with it, then make another trip to pick it up again. But before I do that, I was just hoping there would be a simple fix I could try in my own garage. I'll try checking the grounds, connections and fuses. If that doesn't work, I'll take it in. Thanks again for the good replies so far.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:18 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are no inline fuses are anything. The winch gets its power straight from the battery.
It could be that the thermal protection switch or the low voltage interrupt switch went bad.
I would highly suggest go to this website and get the 06 service manual.
The section on the winch starts on page 23-320 (page 8657 overall).

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/862986ACD8A0404B8E54E614D3D2A8CD.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Claw
Rookie

Problem fixed![sm=happy046.gif]I checked all the connections and grounds, and they all looked good. I noticed a little two-prong plug harness underneath and behind the solenoid box. It was fully connected, but on a hunch, I disconnected then reconnected it, and BINGO! The winch worked![sm=wootwoot.gif]Thanks again guys for the helpful advice. I got lucky this time.[sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Old 11-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a little electrical contact gel in the plug to keep out moisture. It really helps keep a good contact. Glad you figured it out. I too prefer to know why somthing doesnt work on my own.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:09 PM
motorhead426
All Star

ORIGINAL: Mystro

Put a little electrical contact gel in the plug to keep out moisture. It really helps keep a good contact. Glad you figured it out. I too prefer to know why somthing doest work on my own.
also called dielectric grease....

The first thing I thought after reading this was maybe the parking brake needed to be set, but if I were stuck, or pulling someone out, I might need to move the vehicle at the same time or something.

Quick Reply: Power Wagon Winch No Workie