3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster Series 70 Big Block II

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 03:19 PM
DelawareDon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster Series 70 Big Block II

I'm looking for a muffler that will give me just a touch more growl and rumble than stock, while still keeping the interior of the cab almost resonance free. From what I've read, perhaps the Flowmaster Series 70 Big Block II will do what I'm looking for. Do any forum members have any experience with the 70 series Big Block II....and if so, what do you think?

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:18 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Flowmaster Series 70 Big Block II

Keep your STOCK exhaust and just remove your MUFFLER and add a straight pipe in its place. Keep the RESONATOR in place at the tail end (It now becomes your NEW Muffler) and replace your factory "Y" pipe with a HIGH FLOW "Y" pipe... With the money you saved you can put towards a set of headers.

This set up will TRUMP and out perform just about all aftermarket systems. After that you could install an electric DUMP just after the "y" pipe and you will have one of the best performance exhaust systems available. one of the bigest problems with exhaust systems is that too many people go WAY too large for such a little mighty mouse engine. Keep the factory single 3" and just replace the week points.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-26-2006, 06:57 PM
romic00
Rookie

If your looking for a quite exhaust removing ur muffler won't work for you. I removed my muffler on my 03 hemi and put a straight pipe and it was 3 times louder then my aftermarket muffler.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:15 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: romic00

If your looking for a quite exhaust removing ur muffler won't work for you. I removed my muffler on my 03 hemi and put a straight pipe and it was 3 times louder then my aftermarket muffler.
It does make it louder... but its not that bad. Did you still have your resonator in place or did you remove that as well? I have heard several HEMIs with the Muff removed and with a resonator in place and it wasnt that bad at all ... yes it was more agressive/hotrod sounding but they were not too loud.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-26-2006, 08:47 PM
DelawareDon
Professional

I should have specified up front....I am going to have a custom set of duals fabricated that will dump straight out the back (my personal preference). That eliminates the option of removing the muffler and retaining the resonator. I guess I need to also indicate that I am not really concerned about increased performance. I am interested in having a nice, mellow sound that does not produce cab resonance.

So....I'll ask again. Will the Flowmaster Big Block II 70 series do this for me?

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: DelawareDon

So....I'll ask again. Will the Flowmaster Big Block II 70 series do this for me?

Thanks.
Please let us know as soon as you find out, I never heard of the "BIG BLOCK II 70 SERIES" untill you asked.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-27-2006, 10:27 AM
motorhead426
All Star

The 70 series is close to the quietest muffler flowmaster makes. In my opinion it kind of seems pointless. I have a 50 series, and the only noise I hear is when I jump on it, or at low speed through town. There is almost zero drone on the highway. I'd do this, and I think you'll be happy.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:07 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

I have heard of the 40 & 50 series, But I never heard of the "BIG BLOCK 70 series" Are they all part of the same series? In that case I agree with the above post, I have the 40 series and its not bad... yeah its loud but only when you get on it. I know the 50 series is suposed to be quieter than the 40 series so if you follow in suite I would guess a 70 series would be very quiet. Im not exactly sure what your looking for but IF they are all part of the same series I would assume the 70 series would be just as quiet as stock if not quieter...

I wish I could be of more help... I do know I plan to remove my 40 series for a Magnaflow in the next few weeks.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-28-2006, 03:30 AM
rumble bee ram

i have 05 hemo ram . i switched out 3 mufflers ending with the 70 series you want. i have streetsportindusties stainless headers , factory cats and 70 muffler w dual 2.5 tailpipes with 4" rolled polished tips. IT IS VERY LOUD!!! i have to leave for work at barely above idle as to not wake wife and baby. the hemi is a large high compression moter , if you want it only a bit louder at first i removed only the resonator and extended the tailpipe. if you want i muffler , keep the resonator

Old 11-28-2006, 03:54 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: rumble bee ram

i have 05 hemo ram . i switched out 3 mufflers ending with the 70 series you want. i have streetsportindusties stainless headers , factory cats and 70 muffler w dual 2.5 tailpipes with 4" rolled polished tips. IT IS VERY LOUD!!! i have to leave for work at barely above idle as to not wake wife and baby. the hemi is a large high compression moter , if you want it only a bit louder at first i removed only the resonator and extended the tailpipe. if you want i muffler , keep the resonator

There you have it! Apparantly its NOT part of the same series and I was WAY off... Thank you for your help.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Series 70 Big Block II