3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help! How to lubricate rear leaf springs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:01 PM
DelawareDon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! How to lubricate rear leaf springs.

My new '07 Ram has the dreaded "squawk" in the rear suspension. I can replicate the sound by standing on the rear bumper and moving up and down. The squawk appears to be coming only from the passenger side. I have searched and read about this condition on this site, and many have suggested lubricating the leaf springs. Some have used spray lubricant, such as WD 40...which has limitations in that every time it rains much of the lubricant is washed away. Others have suggested greasing the leaf springs.

My question is this: How do you get the grease between the leafs? Is there a tool for this process? Does it necessitate removing the springs and separating the leafs in order to apply the grease?

Any suggestions those of you who have successfully lubricated the rear leaf springs would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help! How to lubricate rear leaf springs.

Mine had that at first but then went away on its own.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:57 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help! How to lubricate rear leaf springs.

A few yrs ago DCX had a TSB for the old body durango that had the same noise. The TSB included changing the plastic pads that go in between the leafs. You might see if the dealer can do something for you. Even if the noise goes away on its own, you shouldn't have to put up with it on a brand new vehicle.

Quick Reply: Help! How to lubricate rear leaf springs.