3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:25 PM
goobergarrett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Issues

I noticed a few weeks ago that my power steering was leaking on my 02 1500 ram in a couple of places, and I have replaced a couple of hose clamps and o-rings. The leaking has stopped as far as I know. I haven't noticed anymore atleast. The only strange thing that I have noticed in doing all of this is that the power steering reservoir seems to build up pressure while I drive it. I always thought that the tank had a vent in the cap. Is this pressure something I should be worried about and if there is a vent where is it? I have looked at my cap and haven't found anything. I don't have water in my fluid because its not frothy.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:21 AM
shep21
Default RE: Power Steering Issues

I have this same exact problem....a forceful blast of air is released each time I remove the cap, after hearing some noises from the PSP....anyone know whats going on??

Old 12-07-2006, 01:22 AM
shep21

I have this same exact problem....a forceful blast of air is released each time I remove the cap, after hearing some noises from the PSP....anyone know whats going on??

Old 12-07-2006, 05:42 PM
dirtydodge02
Banned

I just put a bottle of PS fluid in mine. No idea where it all went, but now you've got my attention. I'll have to go pick up so hose clamps. I can't imagine the pressure hurting anything though, long as it's not too much...

Old 12-08-2006, 01:59 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I'm not sure why the pressure builds up, but mine did that as well, even after they replaced the PS pump and the R&P. No biggie.

As to the loss of fluid, there are only a few places it can go. It can leak at the pump, the PS cooler, the hose connections or the R&P when the seals fail. The seals will fail when the R&P boots are torn and allow debris in and it wears out the seal (most common reason). Check all those places.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Denniss66
Veteran

I just had to replace the powersteering pump in my truck i would put in a liter of oil and then it would be gone in 2 seconds. one of the seals in the pump went. not sure why though.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:56 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

I just want to contribute to this thread, seeing as how I've had my truck in the shop 3 times for power steering problems.

First Problem: Went in because I noticed power steering fluid leaking all over my front stabilizer bar.
First Dealer Fix: They replaced power steering hoses and clamps.

Second Problem: Went in because my power steering completely died.
Second Dealer Fix: They replaced the power steering pump.

Third Problem: Went in because power steering died AGAIN.
Third Dealer Fix: They replaced the hoses, the pump, and the steering rack.

I was told by the service writer that power steering problems are quite common with these trucks. It may have something to do with the fact that I live in the cold cold north. All the problems mentioned above have taken place in the winter time. Gets to -40 here easy. Don't know exactly how much that has to do with it. Just thought I would mention.

I think that if you're having power steering problems, you should raise a little hell. Dealers by nature will take the quickest/easiest/cheapest way out of a problem. If replacing the hoses had kept the power steering working long enough for my warranty to expire, then I would have been back replacing the power steering pump, and power steering rack, with money out of my own pocket. Luckily it failed 3 times in a row... And was still covered by warranty. I just think it's bull**** they try to cheat everyone like that. And I had to be without my truck for several days.

While this is not what I would consider a major problem, it was still as hassle... I love my truck.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Issues