3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 ram 2500 rpm jump

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:50 PM
rango726
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 ram 2500 rpm jump

i bought an 02 ram 2500 5.9 about a month ago and since day one the rpms jump when im driving at a steady speed.the dealer cant figure it out and im geting very irritated. heres the deal when cruizing at a steady speed ill get a 200-500 (roughly)rpm jump and i can hear the truck rev up at the same time.theres is no rythm to when it does it. also it will do it real bad in cruise control even if it wasnt doing it without it. it will always do this in cruise but not always without.the dealer has done a full tune up which has made my truck run excellant but it still does it. they have replaced some of the injectors and added a fuel addative called b&g but it still does it. also the truck idles eratic not as bad since the tune up. now it is when i slow down at a light the rpms will come down but then jump up pushing me forward. and once in a while just idle weird a little.now were it gets weird is i have had the truck feel like the brakes are locked when i accelerate from a stop. basically i cant start the truck start driving and have it be fine but then all of a sudden i can stop at a light and when i go it takes alot to get the truck to move. like i said its like the brakes are binding but thats not it because if i shift into 1st (its an auto) the dragging is gone. the other day it was so bad i had to shift the truck to even get it to move?? also one morning when the engine was cold the truck was dragging so i put the pedal to the floor and the engine light came on and went off so i checked to see if there were any codes and all i got was multi cylinder misfire but i have never gotten that since. sorry about the huge post but im stumped i thought tps. but why would that make my truck drag im sure it would cure my idle but not my dragging.again sorry for the lengthy post thanks for any help in advance

Old 12-13-2006, 03:34 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: 02 ram 2500 rpm jump

You didn't specify if you have the gasser or diesel in your truck. I'm assuming the gasser here. You have the older style tranny in your truck. When was the last time you had the fluid changed and the bands adjusted? It sounds more like either a TC or tranny issue to me (or related electonic stuff). Did they scan your TPS and MAP to make sure it wasn't giving the tranny false information? You can have a bad TPS or MAP sensor and not throw any codes and still have driveablity issues. Also, do a search over in the 2nd Gen as you'll find more people with the 5.9 gasser and tranny combo that you have.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:28 PM
rango726
Professional
Default RE: 02 ram 2500 rpm jump

sorry the truck is gas.i just bought the truck so i have never changed any thing in it. the truck only has 50k miles on it. i called dodge on this and they tell that the tranny in my truck is virtually bomb proof and that more than likely that it is an external issue that they dont see many iternal issues on the 2500s but hes wouldnt rule it out but ts unlikely

Quick Reply: 02 ram 2500 rpm jump