3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

v6 sounding like a deisel

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006 | 12:05 PM
kubotaman
Default v6 sounding like a deisel

i know i'm probably looking into this way too far but i just got my ram after taking the leap into fullsizes and i'm not impressed...always had minis and cars and now i think i made a boo-boo...run down on my truck for some quick info:

2006 ram 1500 std cab
6 spd manual
v6
2wd
2200 miles

when i'm idling say at a drive thru, it sounds like it has a deisel chug and when i start to drive, it gets this weird chuug sound from the tranny until you get to a certain rpm range...it does it in all gears and all speeds unless it's cruisin speed then it goes away some but the minute you give it some gas like you're gonna pass someone or seed up to change lanes, it does it then again...love the truck but i hate the underpowered nature of the v6 and forget steep hills...mine bogs down something horrific if i just gingerly give it gas and let out on the clutch...botta run it up to like 3500 rpm and get into it or it just wants to die

any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 12-14-2006 | 01:10 PM
eltupac
All Star
Default RE: v6 sounding like a deisel

Dude, dont take this wrong, but yes you made boo boo. That transmission thing will always be there. I posted last year the same thing. When I took it to the dealer, I told them it sounded like something was loose under there. They took it, gave it back to me and said it was a heat shield loose. Got it back and it was still there. Took a truck from the lot for a test drive, and it was there. Very dissppointed. On another site, some "know it all" that works with transmissions for Dodge said that the Getrag was the worst thing Dodge would have put on the truck. I fixed the problem by adding the Flowmaster. Now I dont hear the rattling, just the feel the occasional stuttering of the engine on the stick. Honestly, if I thought that what the sticker said about the 17/21 mpg was true, I would have bought the truck no remorse about less power. But I'm getting 15mpg while HEMIs are getting 17 to 22 on HWY, I would have bought a HEMI, settled for a V8 4.7 if that's all I could afford.
Next time, I would do more research, read more posts about anything. A V6 does not belong on a full size truck. That is why Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota dont have V6's on full, four door trucks. Only on ext-cabs, and thats some of them.
Also, you probably have the 3.21 gears. They SUCK. It takes a good 5 seconds to pick up speed.

Old 12-16-2006 | 09:10 PM
cr80renob
Captain

ORIGINAL: eltupac

Dude, dont take this wrong, but yes you made boo boo. That transmission thing will always be there. I posted last year the same thing. When I took it to the dealer, I told them it sounded like something was loose under there. They took it, gave it back to me and said it was a heat shield loose. Got it back and it was still there. Took a truck from the lot for a test drive, and it was there. Very dissppointed. On another site, some "know it all" that works with transmissions for Dodge said that the Getrag was the worst thing Dodge would have put on the truck. I fixed the problem by adding the Flowmaster. Now I dont hear the rattling, just the feel the occasional stuttering of the engine on the stick. Honestly, if I thought that what the sticker said about the 17/21 mpg was true, I would have bought the truck no remorse about less power. But I'm getting 15mpg while HEMIs are getting 17 to 22 on HWY, I would have bought a HEMI, settled for a V8 4.7 if that's all I could afford.
Next time, I would do more research, read more posts about anything. A V6 does not belong on a full size truck. That is why Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota dont have V6's on full, four door trucks. Only on ext-cabs, and thats some of them.
Also, you probably have the 3.21 gears. They SUCK. It takes a good 5 seconds to pick up speed.

FYI Toyota does put a v6 in their full size trucks (both the Tacoma and Tundra).I find my v6 Reg. Cab to have enough power. I put a new exhaust system, Intake, and I chipped it. It's not the car.......It's the driver.

Old 12-18-2006 | 03:37 PM
eltupac
All Star

I guess thats why you are a student driver and I am not. Read well before posting kid. But here, since you need proof, FYI:
http://www.toyota.com/tundra/specs_dcab.html

Do you see the V6 as an option there. Do I have to quote myself again, or did you read the post once more? "That is why Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Toyota dont have V6's on full, four door trucks. Only on ext-cabs, and thats some of them."

Maybe your Reg cab is fine for you, like you said, its the driver the one that decides what he/she wants. If the truck has enough power, why did you put an exhaust, intake and chip? or you werent happy with the stock power and had to mod to make you happy with IT?

Old 12-18-2006 | 07:57 PM
cr80renob
Captain

First off, CALM DOWN. FYI http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/...ouble_cab.html. That is a four door truck and you pick between a 4 or 6 cylinder.

Old 12-19-2006 | 10:54 AM
kubotaman

ok fellas...be nice...i was just curious since the dodge thing is new to me in the truck arena...i've owned a turbo daytona as my first car and it wasn't underpowered by no means so it just took me by surprise when i bought this and it was so weak for the power numbers i've seen posted on some sites...my s10 (although it is smaller and a little lighter), would whoop it's *** all day and then some and was only rated at 190hp...so i just wanted to hear some friendly advice as to what i should do or need to install to bring up the performance a little so it doesn't feel so weak...in your opinions, what are the BEST parts to put on for the power additions i want... i don't believe in doing things twice so i don't mind spendin the money if it's the right stuff

Old 12-19-2006 | 12:28 PM
cr80renob
Captain

IMO I Think that a new exhaust, new intake, and a chip improvesthe powerimmensely.

Old 12-19-2006 | 08:37 PM
eltupac
All Star

Dude, I said full size truck, four doors. You consider a Tacoma a full size truck? then I should've gotten a Dakota. I give up.

Old 12-20-2006 | 12:17 PM
kubotaman

well i took it ot the shop yesterday and called them this morning to see if they found the source to the problem of my diesel chug noise and they said that it was normal for the v6 and that nothign threw a code or was abnormal...soooo...i'm either thinkin about tradin it in on a used s10 or selling it outright and buyin something else because i just can't deal with the dealer tellin me that something that sounds like this is normal and that it is fine...underpowered as hell and noisy...not for me...anyone want a new ram for $11k...it's for sale as we speak!

Old 12-20-2006 | 02:35 PM
eltupac
All Star

Good luck dude. I'm sorry to hear your disappointment. So was I. I got used to it and will wait to trade it in. I'll see what the 2008 looks like, and choose for that in an 8 or a Toyota Tundra (not Tacoma, TUNDRA) with their new 5.7 engine.

Quick Reply: v6 sounding like a deisel