3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Six Month Review 06 Quad Cab!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 12:34 PM
raidermike67
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Six Month Review 06 Quad Cab!

I just passed 5,000 on my odomoter. I have the 06 Big Horn edition with the 5.7, fog lights, sirius, power mirrors, cruise, Line-X over the rail, 17" Ram chome wheels, Wildcat A/T Radials and a couple of cool stickers <G>.

I didn't purchase this truck for work or to commute with, it's a secondary utility vehicle for me, mainly for hauling my ATV's.

Any additons i've made so far have been cosmetic. I swapped out my 20's for 17's (thanks Brian, Gordo24 fan) had a Line-X bed liner installed, nerf bars, chrome gas cap and a receiving hitch. The 20" tires were strictly DRY freeway tires, I needed something a bit more versatile.

The only "problem" I've had is the molding around the rear passenger door is slightly tweaked, I'll have this replaced under warranty.

I did my first oil change around 3K with full synthetic. Oil was full when changed, none was burned. I thought I noticed a slight increase in perfromance with the synthetic but could have just been the break in period. Oil changes are very easy but my factory filter was wrenched VERY tight so I had a heck of a time getting it off as I didn't have the proper sized oil filter wrench. Oil from the filter area tends to wander a bit if you aren't careful. I used a Wix oil filter to replace the stock chrysler filter.

Performance wise this truck get up and go..I was able to smoke those old 20's pretty well in second gear. This truck had NO LACK of power whatsoever, I can pass people easily with a quad in the back and on the trailer, even going up hill. I haven't experienced a single glitch whatsoever. Owners manual recommends 89 octane and I have noticed a very slight hesitation when passing if I run 87, not as dramatic as I've read from others on here but still noticable. I run Lucas synthetic injector cleaner/octane boost every few months but not as concentrated as recommended on the bottle.

Gas mileage? After swapping to the 17's, I got 19.7MPG on my last two hour trip, averaging 70 MPH, this was according to the overhead unit but when I've compared it to the actual math in the pastit's pretty close. My speed fluctuated between 60-80(mostly for passing) due to traffic conditions but was all freeway driving and was straight through. I went 141 miles in 2 hrs 7 minutes so was probably closer to 68.5 MPH rather then 70. The entire trip was 316 miles, I put in 20 gallons with it nearly on E and the gas light on, when I got home was still at a 1/4 tank. The worst mileage I've gotten was about 13.5 returning from Los Angeles hauling a quad an ignoring the speed limit quite a bit.

Fit and finish? Overall I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars, interior is VERY roomy in the front and back, most features are within easy reach although I'd like to have volume controls for the radio on the steering wheel (prob. an option in a Laramie or something?). Seats seem to stain easily, I'd recommend scotch guard. Plenty of storag areas, center seat/storage, under the rear seats, a few pockets in the dash and a pretty large glove compartment along with very large pockets on each door. The retractable drink holder is a nice feature. A/C seems work great, no complaints and it gets over 100 for consecutive days here in the summer, heater works good but seems to take a while to get going, most controls are within easy reach but the radio can be a bit of a reach if you have shorter arms, power mirrors/windows seem to work fine, no issues with the keyless entry other then the damn horn "beep", an extra a/c outlet would be nice, cup holders in the rear could be improved upon too.

Exterior? I have the clear coat (highly recommend btw) and as I stated had the bed liner installed(again very highly recommended). I don't have any real issues with the exterior/paint etc. I'd prefer flush door handles over protruding ones. Fender well guards would be nice, I'll probably upgade to these next.

This truck sits up pretty high, even with 17's it doesn't really sit any lower. Cleaning the center of the front window can be a challenge, I'm average height at 5' 9" and have to use a step ladder to get the entire windshield cleaned. The nerf bars work great as steps, mainly for getting out then getting in, I strongly recommend getting these.

Complaints? Hard to find any and I'm fairly critical. Sits up a bit too high for MY particular use/taste but I understand why. Stock stereo is OKbut if I were a lot younger I'd have probably upgraded this system. The Sirius is nice but not sure I'd renew it cause I'm cheap.

A few features from other models I'd like to have?Electric rear window, a/c outlet in the center console, volume control on the steering wheel and a rear fold down seat. GPS would be nice but I have a hand held which is more versatile. A sun roof would be nice too but almost $2,000 to have an aftermarket installed.

Future upgrades? I'll eventually upgrade the exhaust and still kick around getting a new stereo and possibly an alarm. I thought about bed rails as they look nice but like being able to walk around the edge of the bed so might pass on that idea, still undecided. Fender well guards as previously stated will probably be my next upgrade.

Any comments/feedback is welcome!

[IMG]local://upfiles/37647/3860FDDAA0C94DFCAAAF65BD67B37014.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-17-2006, 01:17 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Six Month Review 06 Quad Cab!

Congrats on the new truck....Looks sharp...

Old 12-17-2006, 04:52 PM
M15
Veteran

Looks good. I also use my truck to hual my quad out to Glamis and yes I agree the passing power is nice. Especially when you have to pass a row of slowmoving trucks pulling toyboxes.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sirius wasn't an option in '05 (I don't think), but do you have the Infiniti sound? I know this is a long shot, but unfortunately I've known people who have had their trucks quite some time and never knew this.... Check the back of your steering wheel spokes for radio controls. Again, I don't know if the '06's have this option (I think they have a different steering wheel, right?), and I'm NOT trying to insult your intelligence. I've just honestly known someone who never knew they had the controls on theback of their steering wheel until I showed them!

Old 12-17-2006, 05:33 PM
raidermike67
Veteran

I've just honestly known someone who never knew they had the controls on theback of their steering wheel until I showed them! >>>>>>

Thanks for the info. but no volume controls or anything else on the steering wheel.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:40 PM
arrowman
Professional

Hi,
I own your truck's twin, just in white...
I too have noticed the seats seem VERY easy to stain... had some major water spotting after my brother left the rear window open on a trip shortly after I bought it... Yes, scotchguard works... It will darken the covers ever-so-slightly, but made a huge difference.

Try taking an extra 10-15 minutes on your next highway trip and set the cruise at 65... you'll be amazed at the difference in mpg. (the mds will be active more.)

The one thing I've been wishing for the most is a rear-window defroster.... had to buy a dang squeegee for those heavy dew mornings.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:46 PM
raidermike67
Veteran

Try taking an extra 10-15 minutes on your next highway trip and set the cruise at 65... you'll be amazed at the difference in mpg. (the mds will be active more.)<<<<<<<

Yeah, well even set at 70 in the slow lane I was getting passed like I was in park and tailgated quite often.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:13 PM
arrowman
Professional

Mike, I deal with that all the time out this way, heading to the South Jersey coast.
Speed limit is 65, now that they raised it from 55.... I used to set the cruise at 70, mostly keeping up with the flow of shoebee traffic...
Saw a 2.5 mpg difference bumping it back to 65... and only about 12 minutes more to the 110 mile trip (tended not to run into as much traffic either.)
Granted, driving habits and traffic flow are regional, just sharing what I found to work out in my neck of the woods. Usually the ones that pass me like I'm standing still get to have "in-depth conversations" with the first NJ State Trooper the zoom past...
Sometimes the tourtise wins.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
raidermike67
Veteran

I really TRY to keep it around the speed limit especially since I got nailed twice this year for speeding in my Saturn....but it is very easy to look down and realize you're doing 80 and doesn't even feel like it.

I'm almost sure these 17" tires give the impression you're going slower then you are??

Old 12-18-2006, 12:04 PM
nuckingfuts22
Professional

I agree, I tow a camper with my Ram and I can run down the hwy as fast or faster than most people with out anything behind them. Heck I really just love my truck anyway, I could care less if it tows great or not!

Quick Reply: Six Month Review 06 Quad Cab!