3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Octane for the Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Octane for the Hemi

ORIGINAL: truckin151

The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns in the cylinder
You have it backwards. The higher the octane the faster, hotter, andcleaner the burn is which results in a power gain and because your engine is not working as hard to produce the the power anymore you usually end up with a slighly higher mpg (depending on how you drive).
wrong answer ,High test burns slower, That's how it produces more power to the cylinder It does run hotter that's where the extra power comes from, as for it burning cleaner no way. I know this if your take your truck to DMV for inspection ,it has a better chance of passing the emissions test with regular then high test. .Check it out. If I use 93 oct. in my 04 hemi it's just like someone punched a hole in my gas tank. . As for it burning cleaner ,it all depends on the Additives. And each grade of Gasoline uses the same additive package. Now here's something else to think about. The oil companies are allowed to slide on the octanes by three teenth of a gallon and still be legal. So if you get 89 oct. it can be 88.7 or if you get 87 oct it can be 86.7 Thats a federal regulation.that allows that. In Maryland the companies push to make it as close to the whole number a prossible because that have state labs to check the octane. I worked in PA and we had to do the same. In NJ there private labs and in Delaware they have no testing labs at all. By the way ,my nick name was Mr Octane. because when we did the round robin testing I was alway in the top three labs in the country. A round Robin is a test where 60 labs around the country woud test a one gallon can of gasoline and only the refinery who sent the sample knew what the true octane number is. No one else knew the results until two weeks after the final results were in. But since then I have retired to play with my Truck and my two customized PT cruiser's.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:12 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Silver Eagle

The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns in the cylinder
You have it backwards. The higher the octane the faster, hotter, andcleaner the burn is which results in a power gain and because your engine is not working as hard to produce the the power anymore you usually end up with a slighly higher mpg (depending on how you drive).
wrong answer ,High test burns slower, That's how it produces more power to the cylinder It does run hotter that's where the extra power comes from, as for it burning cleaner no way. I know this if your take your truck to DMV for inspection ,it has a better chance of passing the emissions test with regular then high test. .Check it out. If I use 93 oct. in my 04 hemi it's just like someone punched a hole in my gas tank. . As for it burning cleaner ,it all depends on the Additives. And each grade of Gasoline uses the same additive package. Now here's something else to think about. The oil companies are allowed to slide on the octanes by three teenth of a gallon and still be legal. So if you get 89 oct. it can be 88.7 or if you get 87 oct it can be 86.7 Thats a federal regulation.that allows that. In Maryland the companies push to make it as close to the whole number a prossible because that have state labs to check the octane. I worked in PA and we had to do the same. In NJ there private labs and in Delaware they have no testing labs at all. By the way ,my nick name was Mr Octane. because when we did the round robin testing I was alway in the top three labs in the country. A round Robin is a test where 60 labs around the country woud test a one gallon can of gasoline and only the refinery who sent the sample knew what the true octane number is. No one else knew the results until two weeks after the final results were in. But since then I have retired to play with my Truck and my two customized PT cruiser's.
True, however thats when you do your tests on a low compression engine though. I may be wrong on this but fromwhat I know theHEMI isn't a low compression engine (hemispherical heads) and was built to have a higher copression so thefuel/air ratioburns faster and hotter. As for cleaner yes it does burn cleaner. The ONLYway my 76' chevy will pass emissions in AZ is with 91+ and I have tried virtually every way over the past 10yrs to make it pass without. Why doyou think most people also will add a bottle of alcohol to their gas as well before emissions or octane additives to raise their octane before emissions? The hotter it burns the cleanerit is.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

Let me tell you a little story about Alcohol. Ever since unleaded gas has been around there has been Alcohol in gasoline. Way back in themid 70'sthe refineries were using synthetic Alcohol. and all that means is that it's made from crude oil not corn. as it is today. Usually they keep the blend below 15%.Now that grain Alcohol is out they still use the synthetic but not as much.Your right it does burn cleaner but it reduces your gas mileage by 10% on an average. In the winter the refineries use a lot of Butane as well. It has to do with vapor pressure .In the summer it's 7.0 percent allowed and in the winter it's 15%.It just makes the gasoline burn quicker. It has to do with arir Quality.. One think I didn't say before is is you live in high country the octanes needed are lower in Debver they used to sell 85 oct and 87 was mid grade. So 89 was high test. I don't know what it is today I haven't been to Denver since 1995. WhereI live is at sea level. So the Fuel burns different here then in the mountain areas of the country. Denver is a mile higher above sea level. This makes a big differance. Whats it like in Arizona?

Old 12-20-2006, 08:58 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Where I'm at its about 1100ft +/-above sea level if Im correct. Around here though 87 is low, 89 is medium, and 91 is high. Plus I know there are different additives added to the gas in arizona between summer and winter months.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:55 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[

Now here's something else to think about. The oil companies are allowed to slide on the octanes by three teenth of a gallon and still be legal. So if you get 89 oct. it can be 88.7 or if you get 87 oct it can be 86.7 Thats a federal regulation.that allows that.
I sometimes qustion when I'm gassing up if the Mid grade pump is conected to the Mid grade tank in the ground, or the Supreame, You can't pull out a chemistry set and check the octane on the spot.

Who's to know if the high buck gas is not reguler with a higher price. And who watchs out for this? in Canada/U.S.A.

For the cost of 104+ octane boast, over 6 bucks Cdn, dosent make it woth while for 350 ML of go spark

Old 12-21-2006, 04:02 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With Desiel Flue, thiers a tint ( purpule, Red ) to use for on Road/off Road, esp. in the southern states, Last time I was traveling with my Kin, down yee a younder in Gritt's counrty, Us Canayydians were derailed By some Fine Southern Finger sticking Law enforment officers who determined the Desiel Flue in the truck was the right refignment for highway use.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:32 AM
diehardpolice
Professional

All I've ever ran is 87, no problems. I think I might try a couple of tanks of 89 just to see, but I don't really think I'll see a big difference.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:56 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can not reliably predict whether a gasoline blend burns faster or slower based on octane. Methane is extremely fast burn and rated 120 octane. Toulene is slow burn and rated 110 octane.

You can not reliably predict what MPG you can get based on octane either.

The best way to guess which gasoline will give the best MPG is to buy one of those 1 gallon gas cans and weigh EXACTLY one gallon. A gasoline blend that weighs the most for 1 gallon (density) will probably give the best MPG too.

want more info?

http://www.epa.gov/orcdizux/rfgecon.htm

has a survey of how many BTU's of heat were actually in gallons of gasoline bought many different places, and during the season of 'summer blend' and winter blend.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

ORIGINAL: cyclone429

[

Now here's something else to think about. The oil companies are allowed to slide on the octanes by three teenth of a gallon and still be legal. So if you get 89 oct. it can be 88.7 or if you get 87 oct it can be 86.7 Thats a federal regulation.that allows that.
I sometimes qustion when I'm gassing up if the Mid grade pump is conected to the Mid grade tank in the ground, or the Supreame, You can't pull out a chemistry set and check the octane on the spot.

Who's to know if the high buck gas is not reguler with a higher price. And who watchs out for this? in Canada/U.S.A.

For the cost of 104+ octane boast, over 6 bucks Cdn, dosent make it woth while for 350 ML of go spark
All you have to do is look at the color. Red or orange is regular, water clear , mid grade, Blueish is hightest. If it's any other color get a sample of the fuel at the pump. Find if youe state has a octane testing lab. get it tested. they'll need at least a quart. Don't draw it into a glass bottle ,not safe. these colors are federal standards. Also most state guage there service staions monthly for Octane value and to make sure you are getting a true gallon. Always buy your gasoline in the evening or later The ground temp. is 65 degrees .Gas srinks in volumn at lower tempertures. So you can get more in your tank the later you get it. ..

Old 12-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Walt

Thanks stump_breakerfor your response. You've got it correct. Its related to the compression ratio of your engine. Sure the temperature is a bit higher with higher octane but thats not was gives you more power. Octane is the compression thatthe fuelcan take. If you run low octane in a high compression engine it will cause a premature explosion in the cyclinder which causes uneven burning and pitts in the cylinder wall. Thats where all the crap comes from. Sure, your safewith higher octane but if your engine isn't designed to force more air and fuel into the mixture to achieve a higher compression then its waisted money and you don't get much more power for your money. I race bikes that have to run at least 110 octane. If I don't it will destroy the engine. If you have remaped your fuel injection with a computer and are allowing more fuel and air into the cylinders I would be careful running 87. You can install an air intake but, once you've remaped your computerfor more horsepower, keep in mind your forcing more air and fuel into the cylinderfor that power which raises your compression, which in turn requires you to raise your octane. Every variableis related to the other. Your debating single aspects of the whole process. Some of you may have mods and some may not. When I race bikes in the mountains I use a different fuel injection map which adjust for lower air pressure. If I don't I will loose a lot of power. Its not magic, its physics and its the same principles with all internal combustion engines.

Quick Reply: Octane for the Hemi