3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WARNING. New Virus out

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING. New Virus out

IF you get an E-mail with the word "INVITATION "in it ,do not open it, It will crash your computer.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:34 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WARNING. New Virus out

ORIGINAL: Silver Eagle

IF you get an E-mail with the word "INVITATION "in it ,do not open it, It will crash your computer.
Can you post alink to info or more detail of this? It could be a hoax as well.

Old 12-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to make sure my virus definitions are up to date---hint,hint!!!

Old 12-24-2006, 03:10 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the same topic, don'tup grade to Explorer 7 and up grade to win Media 11, I some how down loaded a none MS codex file ( video ) of what I thought was on a MS website.

All my up dated anti virus soft ware could not dected a virus, yet Explorer would automaticly set it it self to go to a hack look alike web site to down load anti virus soft ware I did not want.

Any legit anti virus program is not going to promt you to down load from them, if this happens, turn off the modem and get off line and run your anti virus..

Going back to explorer 6 did not help, I could not adjust the secuirty setting's to what I wanted or even the web page to luanch, with the Modem off, Explorer 6 would try to go on line to down load.

So I deleated Explorer and in the process learned MS operating systems share Kernnel files, Dll files ect that run applications needed to run othier applications...

Basicly 512 Megs of Ram is not enough to run explorer 7 and Anti virus soft ware on a Celeron D with a 180 gig hard drive.

So I had to start over and reinstall XP.

Windows XP is no better the win 3.1 win 95, ect...

Old 12-24-2006, 03:41 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MOZILLA!!

Old 12-24-2006, 04:34 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will try out Fire Fox..

Old 12-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

ORIGINAL: Silver Eagle

If you click on Silver eagle in the upper left hand corner and send me a e-mail I'll forward what I have ,.that's the bestI can do. Ok.
Can you post alink to info or more detail of this? It could be a hoax as well.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:39 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: cyclone429

On the same topic, don'tup grade to Explorer 7 and up grade to win Media 11, I some how down loaded a none MS codex file ( video ) of what I thought was on a MS website.

All my up dated anti virus soft ware could not dected a virus, yet Explorer would automaticly set it it self to go to a hack look alike web site to down load anti virus soft ware I did not want.
Two kids I know had the same problem. Neither of them had IE7, and I believe only one of them has WMP11.
I have IE7 but haven't went back to WMP11 yet (didn't want to find my songs information, but had 0 bug problems while I used it) and have had 0 problems.
For most virus problems, its the users fault, not the systems. My systems only been effected by a virus/worm/spyware/etc once in the entire time I've ever used an anti-virus (and yes, I've used P2P quite heavily in the past for all kinds of files). But than again, most people don't take the time to actually know how to use it, and set up a decent scan scedule.
Also, sometimes infected programs run so that once a threat is supposedly cleaned, and infected program can re-infest.

Sure, Microsoft products have vulnerabilities, but if Macs were nearly as used, so would they (they already have had bugs found in their "ultra-secure" system). It's all in the steps the user takes.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:41 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: cyclone429
Windows XP is no better the win 3.1 win 95, ect...
windows os, any version, is the worst piece of crap excuse for an operating system that ever existed. if you could somehow add up all the time wasted loading, reloading, debugging, de-virusing, backing up, restoring, rebuilding lost files, etc, and then add up all the money spent on dos, windows, anti-virus, firewalls, security, utilities, tools, etc etc, it would be astronomical. Maybe someday, when microsoft is gone, a pc will just work right, act like an appliance, never lose your data, and never get corrupted.

use firefox as a browser. its a 1000 times better.
have hope, someday linux or other will save the day.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:12 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I agree Fire Fox is the only way to go. I have been useing it for a long time and like it much and better then any version of IE. Now if Linux will come out with an easy to use OS for me so I can dump XP.

Quick Reply: WARNING. New Virus out