3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CARB? and few other ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Great White Wing
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARB? and few other ?'s

Can some explain what the CARB exclusion sticker means and why I would want it with a CAI system. Does it exempt me from emission testing (Massachuesetts)?

Read some older posts on Superchips and have a question or two. One, if I go to larger wheels and use the 87 economy setting how bad will affect driveability? How much better mileage can I expect from both? Should I use smaller tires AND the towing setting for a 5.5k pound trailer?

Looking for economy for most of the time and good towing when we go camping. IMHO the towing is okay as stock, but could always use more power. BG

04 1500 Ram Quad Cab 8' bed.

Thanks from an infrequent reader and less frequent poster and Merry Christmas

Old 12-26-2006, 05:31 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran
Default RE: CARB? and few other ?'s

California
Air
Resources
Board

Old 12-27-2006, 02:24 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

California
Air
Resorces
Board
Like he said. It exempts that particular piece of equipment from violating emissions laws, meaning it has the same legal status as the factory piece it replaces. Very important if you live in a state with stringent emissions laws (like Cali). You'll have to check your state laws and if the EO# applies in your state. As for the Superchips, the 87 setting will optimize your engine for use of 87 octane fuel. Driveability isn't really that affected, hi-perf setting might wake the engine up, but it won't act like an old overcammed musclecar. If you keep your foot out of it, you should see some small mileage gains. Smaller tires will change your overall final drive ratio, depending on your gearing and tire height. Shorter tires will increase your acceleration. If you don't have at least a 3.73, you might want to upgrade gears first. What engine do you have? I like to put mine on perf towing if I have to haul anything of decent weight.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Great White Wing
Rookie

I live in Mass that has emissions testing. I understand the acronym for CARB. Does placing the sticker mean I don't have to gettested for emissions or the standard is higher/lower, I don't get it. Forgive the stupid questions please but I don't see what the sticker that comes with the chip does or doesn't do for me.

I have the 04 CrewCab long bed with 5.9 Hemi engine with stock 17 tires.

I really like the idea of reporgramming the truck for economy or towing depending on the use. Swapping tires wheels seemed like maybe too much effort but thought I'ld ask anyway. Maybe 20 inch snows for winter when I use the truck for commuting to work and 17's for the rest when I would use it to pull the camper. My 10 month transportation is my motorcycle, hence my username.

I emailed SuperChip about fuel savings and even though they make a claim of fuel savings on the website they won't stand behind it and give an estimate.

BTW- I like this forum, has tons of good info making me want to spend more money. LOL

John

Old 12-27-2006, 03:45 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

The sticker is for jurisdictions where they perform an underhood inspection. When they see it, they cam reference the exemption number on it to see that you are indeed legal.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Great White Wing
Rookie

Okay, I see now. Engine mods are genrally illegal and the sticker shows what you have done IS legal. That makes sense if I got it right.

Thanks

Old 12-27-2006, 04:16 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Close, it's not that engine mods are illegal, it's anything that modifies the emissions control systems, which in this day and age is basically EVERYTHING.

Quick Reply: CARB? and few other ?'s