3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

front drive shaft grease and disenguagement

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 04:57 PM
tommu56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front drive shaft grease and disenguagement

RAM 2500 ctd auto 4x4megacab
I looked in manual but couldent find answer.
I tried to grease front driveshaft and couldent find grease fitting inthe doubleuniversal joint.
I tried to turn shaft over (in 2wd) its lock up.
Had my wife pull truck forward and backward to find fitting still mia.
1, Can any one explane were fitting is?
2. Dosent drive shaft disengauge (sp) from wheels?

Old 12-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: front drive shaft grease and disenguagement

There is a grease zerk there. You will need a needle to access it. You will also need to lift the front wheels to rotate the drive line. It is located on the transfer case side of the joint. Make sure you bring a flashlight-----you will definitely need it. Of all the maint I perform on my truck, greasing that zirk is a major PAIN-IN-THE-***!!!!!
Unfortunately, D/M decided to go with the full time run of the front drive train---when you lock in and unlock, you are only disengaging the drive train at the transfer case. The front axles do not unlock.
The fitting kinda sits at an angle in the cross, and looks like a bright spot with a dark dot in it. I know this sounds kinda lame---but only way better to describe it is with a picture. One of the guys did do this a long time ago here on the forum. If I can find it I will re-post for you, but I suggest doing a search too----Good Luck!!!

Old 12-25-2006, 08:04 PM
tommu56

Thanks I did find the other post after I posted does any one know if they make manual hubs for the front end?

tommu56

Old 12-27-2006, 08:12 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

The fitting is in the centering ball of the double-cardan joint.
when you grease it, you don't get any grease in the actual cross of the joints. Those are non-greaseable, just like the others on the rear shaft and the very front u-joint.

Quick Reply: front drive shaft grease and disenguagement