3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My Ram doesn't have a resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 04:22 PM
BgBluRam
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Ram doesn't have a resonator?

So I went to the muffler shop yesterday to get the 40 series muffler installed (and get rid of the 50 series which is for sale if anyone wants it) and I asked about getting the resonator cut off, and he told me that my 2003 Ram doesn't have a resonator. I pointed out the 'canister' directly below the pasanger seat, which I was made to believe was a resonator, and he said that it was a catalytic converter. I said that the cats were up near the exhaust manifolds, and he told me that my truck had 3 cats, and no resonator? Is this true? I have always thought that the round canister under the passanger seat was a resonator, he was going to charge me $80 bux to cut it out!

Anyone that can answer my question, please do! Thanks!

Old 12-28-2006, 05:31 PM
motorider228
Champion
Default RE: My Ram doesn't have a resonator?

as far as I know you are correct. You have 2 cats and one resonator. Some of these muffler guys are idiots. I had my exhaust done at midas and they charged me an arm and a leg and every weld the welder made have leaks in them. These people shouldn't be in this line of work if they can't do their jobs accordingly.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:48 AM
BgBluRam
Captain

Thanks motorider, I hope someone who knows for sure chimes in. I know what you mean about the people that work at the muffler shops.I tried to correct him that it was a resonator, and he replied "Excuse me!? I have been doing this for 10 years," blah blah blah... I think AIRRAM would know, hmm.. I would like to cut it out, but not if it is a cat!

Old 12-29-2006, 01:36 PM
helopilot
Veteran

Did a little research in the maintenance manual and here is what I found. On the 03's there is no resonator. However, if you have a California emissions package there are two additional mini-catalytic converter as well as a single main catalytic converter.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:41 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

My 2003 SLT stock exhaust was as follows: Exhaust manifolds, catalytic conv.,then muffler. That's it.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:18 PM
motorider228
Champion

ohhhhh I forgot bgblue you have a 4.7. it may be possible that you don't have a resonator. however, 3 cats is rediculous.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:44 PM
BgBluRam
Captain

ORIGINAL: helopilot

Did a little research in the maintenance manual and here is what I found. On the 03's there is no resonator. However, if you have a California emissions package there are two additional mini-catalytic converter as well as a single main catalytic converter.
Hmm, thanks for looking that up for me, that was nice of you. Question: Do you think the truck would still pass emissions if I took off the 3rd cat and left the other two "mini-cats" on it?

Old 12-29-2006, 11:51 PM
helopilot
Veteran

I wouldn't even hazard a guess with that question, especially coming from a guy with no cats.

Quick Reply: My Ram doesn't have a resonator?