3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Install problem with Hitch - need your help please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Uncle Hemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install problem with Hitch - need your help please.

I have a 2006 Ram and purchased a Putnam Model 25203 hitch off of Ebay. From my understanding, this hitch installs the same as the mopar hitch. I'm having a problem with fishing the bolts and carriage spacer through the hollow tube. The carriage spacer does not fit through the tube - seems to be about 1/4 inch to long. Anyone else have this problem? Should I just cut the spacers until they fit? Any tricks on fishing the bolts through and not loosing them in the process? Also, the "fish wire with spring on the end of it" was not in the box with the hitch.

Uncle Hemi.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:02 PM
adamwade
Rookie
Default RE: Install problem with Hitch - need your help please.

I don't know how I ever would have gotten mine installed without the wire (I bought the Mopar one from the dealer). Other than that, it was a very simple 15 minute install. You need to make up a wire somehow.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Uncle Hemi

They are sending me the fishwire today so that should solve that problem. I am still wondering why the carriage spacers that go inside the tube along with the bolts are too long. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 01-05-2007, 02:11 PM
stump_breaker
Captain

Assuming everything else is fitting like it's supposed to, I don't see why trimming the spacers would be an issue. Maybe they just sent the wrong ones or possible the hitch you have is more of a generic fit and they include generic spacers. Did you try contacing the manufacturer about this spacers?

Old 01-05-2007, 08:18 PM
raidermike67
Veteran

Ughhh, I just did this six months ago and I seem to recall wondering the same thing but it still worked. The thing that I was most worried about was getting the bolt off of that damn spring without dropping it inside when I put the nut on it, and sure enough, first one I dropped..........Oh man I was pissed....eventually got it out but that was quite a job in itself. I bought mine from the dealer and you absolutely have to have those spring wires.

Quick Reply: Install problem with Hitch - need your help please.