3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any reason not to buy an 07' Power Wagon??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Get the PowerWagon.

ORIGINAL: Mystro

Get the Power Wagon. The gas Hemi motor is lighter and quicker than the diesel. Diesel's are not the best off road rigs. They are more for hauling and towing.
sorry buddy but the hemi engine might be a tad bit lighter but a cummins engine in a 2500 will smoke the living hell outta any of the hemi class trucks. That 610 lb ft of torque is incredible for offraoding. and whoever told you a diesel is not the best off road rig doesn't know whatthey're talking about. when offroading most is done at very low speeds and at a low rpm unless your doing some mud pits or something or other and mashing the pedal. Torque is what you need and you need it at a low rpm. The cummins diesel will make insane amounts of torque at low rpm.

paul in all honesty do not get the pwagon. The power wagon for one the engine is not near what the cummins is offroad. Also what does teh powerwagon have that a cummins doesn't. Lockers and swaybar disconnects. and a winch. You can get swaybar disconnects and selectable lockers for both front and rear for less money than what it will cost you for the Powerwagon.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:48 PM
sabersix

paul in all honesty do not get the pwagon. The power wagon for one the engine is not near what the cummins is offroad. Also what does teh powerwagon have that a cummins doesn't. Lockers and swaybar disconnects. and a winch. You can get swaybar disconnects and selectable lockers for both front and rear for less money than what it will cost you for the Powerwagon.
$50K for a truck is INSANE! Buy a used late-model Cummins with the Laramie package. You'll get more truck for your money and have some left over for any mod you want.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:26 PM
motorider228
Champion

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

ORIGINAL: Mystro

Get the Power Wagon. The gas Hemi motor is lighter and quicker than the diesel. Diesel's are not the best off road rigs. They are more for hauling and towing.
a cummins engine in a 2500 will smoke the living hell outta any of the hemi class trucks. .
You don't know what you're talking about. Stock for stock my hemi rcsb 2wd would smoke the crap out of any cummins. I will defend the deisel all day long and talk about how great it is but that is an incorrect statement. sorry.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:53 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The power wagon is awsome, But it's to expensive, get's sucky mileage and will never ever last as long or go as far as a beat up rusty pos with a lift kit, the best 4x4 are the ones you can bang the dents out off are not worry abought tree limbs kissing the paint.

My 2500 Ram 6sp 5.7 373 has all the torque in the world, A 6sp is less forgiving than a automatic, but in 4low is 1st or 2nd I can out pull a cummons hands down loaded or empty off road, out on the highway the 5.7 and 5.9 are dam close performance wise when empty, hell for the extra 7000 grand, the cummins should be twice the engine the hemi is ....

I would stick whith a generic 2500 Ram, the power wagon only adds a extra 2 in in ground clearance and if you don't need to move mountains, the hemi is best, for towing, get the cummins or get a jeep for off road use.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:44 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will that hemi last 300K?

Old 01-13-2007, 04:05 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's 300 K ? Neglect the maintance on the 5.9 and your toasted, gas engines can run longer with less maintance due to the lower compression, but can not perform the same hauling or power demands, A gas engine will wear down quicker than a 5.9 if booth are towing 15,000 lbs, a negelected 5.9 will last longer towing the same LBS as a maintained hemi toing 15,000 lbs...

Reguler oil and maintance, yes the hemi shouuld easily get 300K, If you changed your oil every 5000Km and just drove and drove non stop the engine whould run for ever, the stop and start is what wears a engine down..

Cummins will run for ever if maintained and I beleave the same to be true of the hemi, the bigger question is, will the rest of the truck last for 300 ooo km

Old 01-13-2007, 05:08 AM
BgBluRam
Captain

All of you Cummins guys should specify that the cummins is only really capable offroad if the trail is flat and solid. If you get into any deep sand or mud, or perhaps a steep climb, the weight of the cummins makes it very difficult, I have witnessed. Sure the Cummins is a great powerhouse, but is not an offroad rig. The Power Wagon is made specifically for offroading, lockers, and the extra clearance is critical for offroading, go with the PW if offroading is your thang. Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:25 AM
cumminalong

Regardless of what engine / truck configuration that you decide to go with......

You can build a lot better, for a lot less, with aftermarket parts.

Take away all the PW hoopla and look at what you are getting and how much it's adding to the sticker price of that truck.

As an example, my last truck was built to the friggin hilt. No BS!

ARB's front and rear
Compressor
4.56 gears
6" Skyjacker lift
MX6 adjustable shocks
36" TSL's
Warn 9.5ti Winch
Bed mounted spare
Premier Power on-board welder
MM stainless hubs
etc, etc, etc

Total cost of the build......$7200. If you are semi mecahnically inclined and want superior parts, save the dough, get a truck that meets you're EVERYDAY needs and save that $17K over a comparably equipped 4x, QC and go from there.

Just my .02 on the subject.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:18 PM
06POWERWAGON

Regarding the Power Wagon:
I have had an '06 Power Wagon on 35's for almost a year and I am very please with it on road as well as off road.
I am ashamed to admit that I have only gone off road four times in the last year. For my money, I would have done better with a loaded cummins.
However, I enjoy the compliments and question I constantly get about the "Power Wagon". I like driving something that everybody and their brother doesn't have. There is a standard RAM at every intersection, but very few Power Wagons around town.

Regarding diesel versus Hemi:
There is no question about performance...the Cummins can tow better, andcan easily be made way faster.
Adiesel isvery heavy off road and I have found that the turbomakes itdifficult to managewheel spin when in the technical stuff.
Combine a diesel with a good winch bumper and winch and you're talking some serious weight up front.
Diesel fuel smells.Every diesel pump station usually has fuel all over the ground that you can't avoid stepping in and tracking on your carpet (I hated that!)
The fast food drive thru restaurants make you turn off your clattering engine so they can hear you place your order (embarrassing).
Diesels are way more expensive to purchase and maintain negating any economical benifits at the pump...unless youdrive the truck for many, many years.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:27 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

06Powerwagone wrote: "The fast food drive thru restaurants make you turn off your clattering engine so they can hear you place your order (embarrassing)." Yes this is true on the older Cummins but that is no longer true on the newer trucks. They have made them so quite that I can order at the drive through and have not been asked one time in the last 9-months to turn it off once when I place my order. In fact I have been in many different drive thru’s in several different states from IA to OR so it’s not just my local drive thru being nice to diesel owners.

Cyclone429:

As for a Cummins getting 300K I have talked to hotshot owners who have over 450K with out major problems and they run the hell out of that engine with the heavy weight they haul at times. You may not know this but the CTD 5.9L is called a million mile motor. If I recall Cummins use to have a write up on their web site about the 5.9L with a million miles on it and its still going strong. As I see it if one does not get 300K it was either neglected or was a bad apple.

motorider228:

Quote: ” Stock for stock my hemi rcsb 2wd would smoke the crap out of any cummins.” You may have a chance at a drag race if it was a stock CTD and poor driver, other then that I think any CTD owner with a little know how and a good driver would blow your doors off. In a Bumper-to-Bumper pull of you would lose big time, as you need a lot more HP & torque then a Hemi has to win that one. Don’t get me wrong the Dodge 5.7L Hemi is a good gas engine but it is not the best thing on planet earth by a long shot.

Quick Reply: Any reason not to buy an 07' Power Wagon??