3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any reason not to buy an 07' Power Wagon??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:47 AM
paulphilly
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reason not to buy an 07' Power Wagon??

Looking to pull the trigger on a 07' QC Power Wagon....black with ALL the bells and whistles. Other than gas mileage, is there any reason I should stay clear of the Satillo, Mexico built truck?

Old 01-12-2007, 05:20 AM
motorider228
Champion
Default RE: Any reason not to buy an 07' Power Wagon??

will you use everything it comes with? For some people it would be better to just get a 4x4 qc cummins. However, if you don't care about gas mileage and you would use the stuff the truck has to offer, get it, those trucks are freakin sweet. I wish they offered them in a rcsb trim with a cummins. I would have bought it in a heart beat......or just a quadcab with a cummins for that matter.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:45 AM
paulphilly
Rookie

ORIGINAL: motorider228

will you use everything it comes with?
Probably not, but I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. I do alot of fishing, hunting, atv riding, army national guard trips....and, if I bought this, I am sure that I would do some 4-wheeling. BUt, beyond its capabilities....it just looks like the baddest truck on the road. I was also considering the new Tundra, but the PW makes the Tundra look pathetic. Although, I think the 5.7 in the Tundra is going to be sweet.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:35 AM
motorider228
Champion

In that case the powerwagon will be sweet for you. The lockers will be nice when you are in some mud and if you happen to get into some rough terrain, just disconnect those sawy bars and the ride will be much smoother and your suspension will articulate alot better. If you are an out doorsy type of guy, go for it. I just see some yuppies driving them every once in a while so I wanted to check if the extra $$$ spent would be worth it in your case.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:54 AM
paulphilly
Rookie

ORIGINAL: motorider228

I just see some yuppies driving them every once in a while so I wanted to check if the extra $$$ spent would be worth it in your case.
I think it would....but, what do you think about the reliability of this truck? I am looking for a truck that I can keep for a long time and put alot of miles on. Because of the weight of this truck, do you think I would have problems with the hemi or tranny due to the stress of the massive beast? The one I am looking at stickers for almost $50K, so I want to be sure. Of course, I realize that any truck can have issues (even Toyota), but I am wanting to make the most educated financial decision possible. Thoughts????

Old 01-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Otis30
Rookie

I've got 7K miles on my PW so far, and hit the trails at least once every month. I have abused it, and it's taken it all well. Still no squeaks or rattles. Everything works as advertised. I have to admit though--when you're out in the dirt sometimes it's very hard to continue knowing that the truck you're sitting in cost 40K (in your case 50K) and is still brand new.

If you're going to use it off road, then I'd definately advise getting it. If you're not, I'd look at the Cummins.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:50 AM
motorider228
Champion

Honestly, for that money you're spending I would rather get a quadcab cummins 4x4, lift it and put a posi in the rear. You can do everything to that truck that is on the powerwagon but still have a much more reliable longer lasting motor along with much better gas mileage. You should have no problems keeping a PW reliable for many years though if you do regular maintenance. Also, the trannys in the PW's and deisels are built to handle towing and all that so they are more reliable than the tranny in say my 1500 hemi.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get the PowerWagon.

Get the Power Wagon. The gas Hemi motor is lighter and quicker than the diesel. Diesel's are not the best off road rigs. They are more for hauling and towing.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:58 PM
HAZZERD1051
Rookie
Default RE: Get the PowerWagon.

quicker is reletive. I bet i could either keep up/beat a hemi-titan to 50-60, after that they will run by me like i'm standing still. but if you are doing alot of off roading a diesel is great, most off-roading is done at lower speeds anyway and the TQ will help it out of problem much more then the HP will. especial since a diesel is made to run at full TQ at about 17-1800 RPM, granted they are not the best stock off the factory lot but about
$1500-$3000 and it'll keep up with pretty much any trail rig easy. plus be alot more capible if u decide to do other things then a hemi. and since u are looking for that "better to have it then not" i'd rather have a cummins. can do more and for very little u can do anything a hemi can plus some.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:45 PM
motorider228
Champion
Default RE: Get the PowerWagon.

he cummins is a fine motor offroad. They are more reliable, longer lasting, more efficient and way easier to get insane power out of. Anyone who argues with that is in denial since they have a hemi and should have bought a cummins. I would have if I wasn't 18 and could have afforded a cummins. I have one friend who wheels the everliving CRAP out of his 01 quadcab cummins on 35's. He has never been let down by it at all and loves it. Oh yeah, it runs 12.2's in the quarter on 35's as well. I also have another friend who has a 96 quadcab long bed cummins that is on 35's and he wheels his too. His runs 13.7's in the quarter. Lets see some hemis get up there on 35's in QCLB form with 4wheel drive. The powerwagon is an awesome truck, but a better truck can be made out of a 4x4 cummins. I'm not just defending a truck i own either as most people do, I own a hemi ram.

Quick Reply: Any reason not to buy an 07' Power Wagon??