3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any reason not to buy an 07' Power Wagon??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:13 PM
paulphilly
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Get the PowerWagon.

I will be using the PW as my daily driver. And, I realize that it gets 12-13 mpg on a good day. But, do you think that getting a Magnaflow exhaust, superchips tuner, and CAI will help enough so that it doesnt feel sluggish? I test drove a QC power wagon and it felt "heavy". I know the Hemi is a great motor, but trying to move a 6100lb w/4:56 gearsis not easy. So, I was wondering what aftermarket parts were available to help this beast. Maybe a supercharger? Also,are there any reliability/quality issues I need to be aware of? ie; front/rear lockers, tranny? Thanks for your input....
Paul

Old 01-17-2007, 09:34 PM
M14
Rookie

I too am in the market for the 07 PW, however, from what I have read, the MPG does not seem that much worse than a std 2500 hemi. It has been reported as 10-13 in town and 14-16 on the hwy. My landcruiser gets 15.5 so I would be happy with 14-15 on the hwy. I'd say get it with an extended warraty and enjoy for 100K miles.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:09 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: paulphilly

I will be using the PW as my daily driver. And, I realize that it gets 12-13 mpg on a good day. But, do you think that getting a Magnaflow exhaust, superchips tuner, and CAI will help enough so that it doesnt feel sluggish? I test drove a QC power wagon and it felt "heavy". I know the Hemi is a great motor, but trying to move a 6100lb w/4:56 gearsis not easy. So, I was wondering what aftermarket parts were available to help this beast. Maybe a supercharger? Also,are there any reliability/quality issues I need to be aware of? ie; front/rear lockers, tranny? Thanks for your input....
Paul

Get the six sp manual......I have a 06 2500 reg cab 4x4 373 ltd slip ram with the 5.7 and six sp, only mods I did was dual ex., I 'm up to over 18 mpg highway, I raced a quad cab power wagon, No contest for the power wagon on the streat, off road I'm sure the power wagon is better, but thease trucks are not built for speed as indicated by the lower gearing.
Is all the mods to a high priced rig really worth it?

Old 01-18-2007, 03:34 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

the power wagon does have the "Wow" factor, but I personally wish I would have had the money for a ctd when I bought my truck, the Hemi is a very sweet motor and I have plenty of speed and itis very capable off road, but to have the available torque when needed is a priceless feeling of security. especially when you see a truck buried in the mud that needs a little help. I would go with a 3500 diesel.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 AM
The_Bishop
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem with off-roading in a diesel is that due to all the added weight, especially in the nose, is that *you* will probably be the guy stuck in the mud when your nose-heavy rig sinks like an anchor. The torque is nice, but theweight is a huge penalty.

I've got an '06 Power Wagon. Just got it a month ago, and only been off-road twice with it so far. It's unstoppable.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:56 PM
DCXgageman
Veteran

I HATE MY PW!!!

I act like such a little kid all the timein it. I always gotta go play in the dirt. I just can't seem to keep it clean. I'm constantly late to commitments on the weekends, because I'm always taking the "short cut" and I just keep going. Passangers are always complaining I need to get steps so they can get in easier. Most people's firstquestion isalways'what's the gas mileage.' I answer poor. I know they don't get it. Now, if you ask me what the winch is rated at,we can talk. I get more positive comments from Jeep guys than anyone. They get it.

The truck pulls 10,000#'s, I've pulled a 6,000# trailer, no problem. I regularly pull 2-4 quads, no problem. Can I pull a house? Not likely, but then again my house is brick and mortar and don't want it moved.

I can tell you this, if it is a hard decision for you, don't get it. When the PW came out, for me it was not 'if' but 'when'.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:30 AM
paulphilly
Rookie

Well, I have narrowed it down to the power wagon or new Tundra. Just dont know which way i want to go. After reading several posts about the Tundra, it appears to be a great truck. But, so is the PW....decisions...decisions

Old 01-22-2007, 01:51 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a easy choice. Its got to be the Power Wagon. No way would you be a guinea pig and buy a totally new, 1st year new production vehical.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:33 AM
paulphilly
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Mystro

Thats a easy choice. Its got to be the Power Wagon. No way would you be a guinea pig and buy a totally new, 1st year new production vehical.
Thats a great point, and one that my father always used to preach to me. I definately agree that the PW is a great vehicle. I just dont know if I can handle not having any power. I have read that the heavy PW with 4:56 is sluggish....are there any mods I can do to help? Also, I havebeen looking at the 07' Escalade EXT "trucks". Obviously, two entirely different vehicles...both with a bed that will fit mostly what I would need it to. Opinions on those two??

Old 05-05-2007, 09:53 PM
tiger955

I have an 06 pw just love it last year they were offering great rebates. mine is a reg cab longbox with auto powerseats heated mirrors etc. got mine for 28k. mileage is not great approx. 12 mpg avg.

Quick Reply: Any reason not to buy an 07' Power Wagon??