3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:11 PM
Ridehurley05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY Cold Air Intake

yea its definatley a real k&n sticker sweetheart.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:33 PM
chopperzen
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't care if it's real or not, sweet cheeks. K&N does not make a silver filter.They are all RED..

Old 01-31-2007, 10:45 PM
cr80renob
Captain

ORIGINAL: crashedcdo

wow this guy is really taking constructive critism very personal. makes me wonder if his intake actually is working well. i know that 90 degree bends cause alot of restiction esecially when the engine is at high rpm. not so much on the lower end.

also PVC is not designed for use with heat and is very brittle from the get go. now add heat for a summer and the PVC will get very brittle. the plastics under our hood are designed for high heat applications and can withstand being bent and vibrated to hell and back.

i have thought about making my own intake and my first choice of materials would be pre bent exhaust tubes from an auto parts store.
Couldn't say it any better!!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 PM
chopperzen
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. I have seen the universal filters from K&N. Some ends are chrome and some are black plastic, but ALL FILTERS are red. All I know is the guy asked for comments and couldn't handle them..

Old 02-03-2007, 03:02 PM
MasterChief

I'm not a mechanical engineer but has anyone ever seen a CAI with 90 degree corners? I think the whole reason for putting in a CAI is so the engine will breathe better. Most manufacturers promote the fact that between the filter and the throttle body, the intake is fairly straight and smooth with no restrictions. I think the edges of the 90s and the bend itself would be a restriction.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:56 PM
motorider228
Champion

Masterchief, you are correct with that but the purpose of a CAI is mostly to draw cooler air into the motor. Hence the name COLD air intake. That's why ram air is effective. Some think ram air is forcing air into the motor but it's ben figured out that ram air will only FORCE air into the intake at speeds of 155+

Old 02-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

now correct me if im wrong but arent those cone filters water resistant? A little water wont hurt them, now on the pvc, what is wrong with that? It is only for the intake, so it will see very minimal heat, if any (it is a COLD air intake..) PVC is a building matierial used in homes that can last years and years and years without any problems, and plus it is a thick, ridgid plastic that will not chip or detierorate. Now enough said with that, on to the ebay and k&n intakes and such. The cheap ebay intakes are worthless. The only thing you might get out of that is a little bit of a throatier sound. All it does is pull air in from the rear of the engine no better than a stock intake. I am not saying there is anything wrong with iceman and k&n intakes and such, but the way I see it is if you dont care about looks, spend 25 bucks on a cone filter and 10 bucks on some pvc and paint at the hardware store. On the person that said people put thousands of hours of man power into these intakes, ha. If these companys did this, they would be out of business. I am not saying there is not a science involved, but that figure is totally out of the ballpark. Unless you are concerned with looks, MAKE YOUR OWN!!

Old 02-04-2007, 12:30 AM
damquick1
Veteran

* Most new vehicle induction systems cannot be run as true "ram air" vehicles. The computer controls the vehicles' air/fuel ratio and the mass air flow sensors will interupt and causefaulty codes, thus causing poor burning of fuel, and plug detonation.* If you do these mods without adding a precise tune you are actually creating a less efficient engine, thus wasting both your time and money. *
Just my opinion, invest in a tune, forego the CAI and add a proper exhaust with X pipes and then you'll be impressed.
Oh and by the way, I have a K & N air filter in my STOCK breather box, and I've picked up about 1 MPG...that's it, however, I can re-use the filter for about two years ...... so I'll save approximately 40 bucks....or about a tank of gas.......in two years.....LoL....

Old 02-05-2007, 12:32 AM
9SEC6SPD
Rookie

DCXgageman,

are you outta the tech centre? is that a c27 for your pic?

this forum is fun to poke around on.

Quick Reply: DIY Cold Air Intake