3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stereo / Tweeters Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 06:36 PM
packman35
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo / Tweeters Question

This may have been already covered and if so I appologize.

I have a 2005 1500 QC with the 4-speaker system. I have replaced the front and rear door speakers with Polks and the sound is MUCH improved. However, there still seems to be something missing. I used a converter to connect my XM radio to the CD Changer input in the back and that too sounded like crap. So I went back to an FM Modulator. The sound is better but not quite right.

The biggest problem is that the sound is flat. I am not a thumping bass person but I would like a nice tight, solid lower end (wouldn't we all :-) ). Not getting that -even with the new 6x9 Polks in the front doors. Also missing that nice crisp high end with good imaging that I like.

So - for the high end and imaging, I am thinking about putting in 1" tweeters in the dash openings (where the 7-speaker system tweeters would go). Does anyone know if the wiring is already there? Or do I have to pull my own?

For the low end, I am thinking about replacing the head unit. Does anyone know the stock HU power rating? It must suck if it can't push enough power to make the Polks sound good. What head units have you all used? I would like to avoid using a sub and amp if possible. Harder to get the wife to approve that purchase!!

Lastly, the XM sound is lackluster. Is this a feature of the compression XM uses or can I expect true CD level sound if I can get it hooked up the right way? How have you all hooked up your XM?

Sorry for the long-winded post. I am looking for any advice and experience you all might have with upgrading the crappy stock stereo.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:42 PM
squatchie16
Professional
Default RE: Stereo / Tweeters Question

You are on the right track replaces the factory head with an aftermarket. Look at some of the Alpines (from this year or last), many will be XM ready allowing you to simply plug in your antenna in the back given you far superior sound that the horrible FM Mod. The aftermarket head unit will also make your speakers sound better. Not nearly as much as an outboard amp will, but enough to justify the expense.

Only after doing that would i consider adding more speakers. Most of your problem is a lack of power, the rest is the speakers themselves are not 'high end', although i doubt you paid an arm and leg for them either.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:42 PM
brianas
Professional

Did you know that most factory audio systems have a preset eq curve built in--
such that as you turn the volume up-bass and treble are decreased. They do this
to prevent premature failure of the factory equipment and to hide the short comings
of such things as factory speakers. As mentioned, your best bet is to upgrade to
a aftermarket headunit. this will solve both your problems--as you can get the
xm or siruis reciever thats made for the aftermarket radio you choose. these
recievers are in the $50-100 price range now --and include the ant. --this way
you will have near cd quality sound.
g/l
Josh

Old 01-26-2007, 08:05 PM
morrjr

I'm running an Alpine CDA-9856 with Polk Audio D690 6X9 tri-axials in the front doors (I haven't replaced the rear speakers yet). I get great bass and crisp treble from the Polks.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:42 PM
scox35
Rookie

I replaced the factory h/u with a kenwood kdc-x590 h/u and put 4Pioneer 6 1/2 4 way's in the doors. Then i put 2- 10" p/2 Fosgate subs in a customebox under the rear seats and running them from a Kenwood 81520 amp cost of everything under 750.00 and i could not be any more happy with the sound. I wasent looking for the bumper rattling bass either but i tell ya those 10's pound hard, clean and loud. I agree if you cant do it all now atleast replace the stock h/u and see how that sounds.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

head unit is what makes ur speakers go, i just put a new hu in my 1998 and the stock speakers sound perfect havent blown em yet(knockonwood) also i added a sub for bass and removed anything 220hz and below from the stockers to prevent premature failure.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:40 PM
06 ramguy

A head unit would be a great improvment, also a "direct connect" XM unit would help. You lose a lot of sound with a FM mod unit. As far as your question about your speakers a aftermarket amp, even if it is a small one will make your truck come alive.

Quick Reply: Stereo / Tweeters Question