3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electric cutout questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 05:49 PM
djr04
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric cutout questions

I'm thinking about putting an electric cutout on my 06 hemi ram. I'm planning on going with the stock exhaust, to avoid any mds noise issues while the cutout is closed. When the cutout is open I will simply switch to tow/haul mode, so mds won't be an issue then either. A few questions though. First, where is a good place to find a dmh or qtp cutout and a cutout pipe for a good price. the lowest price I've seen was on dmh's website at 200 bucks for both the pipe and the eletric cutout. Also, what kind of performance gains could I expect from doing this? Any other recommendations or comments are welcome.
Thanks
djr04

Old 01-27-2007, 10:07 PM
boyd98
Veteran
Default RE: electric cutout questions

i would think you'd do it more for sound than performance. I'd say you'd probably think there is more performance than there really is; that aggressive sounds makes your stomp on it a lot more.

Ive thought about buying some for my 05. currently got a super 40 muffler with duals out the back. Nice and loud as it, but wonder how much louder it would be before the muffler

Old 01-27-2007, 10:15 PM
djr04
All Star

ok, I think I've found the cheapest price for the cutout pipe and the dmh electric cutout. It's $200 shipped from dmh's webpage. my only question is what size is the exhaust pipe after the cat and before the muffler?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:55 AM
helopilot
Veteran

Average gain is around 10 hp, maybe a little less..maybe a little more. AirRam has one of the best prices.

http://www.airram.com/products16DMH

Old 01-28-2007, 02:29 AM
djr04
All Star

I was going to go with airram and support a fellow df member, but his price would be 35 dollars more than going with dmh, and being a college student, I need to go with the cheapest route I can for a quality product.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:58 PM
boyd98
Veteran

stupid question, wheres the best place for the cutout, right before the muffler?

Old 02-02-2007, 06:43 PM
nathanp
Captain

id say put it right after the y-pipe, the closer to the muffler the quieter it will get i think. You want it as close to wehre the 2 pipes join as possible

Old 02-02-2007, 10:34 PM
deanj287
Captain

mine sounds SICK on my 03 hemi. gas milage got worse...cuz my foot got heavier! on the highway its alot easier to pull higher speeds and feels like a lot less effort. but thats what i notice when i compare from the exhaust open to closed.

i have mine right infront of the stock muffler. It is impossible to have a cell phone conversation at 70 with it open and it vibrates the whole cab. many a times i thought my phone was vibrating only to find its the cutout being so damn loud

Old 02-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Max00racer
Veteran

same for me in my 03'. I got it right after the cat as far forward I could get it. loud as hell and some performance gains.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:18 PM
motorhead426
All Star

ORIGINAL: djr04

I'm thinking about putting an electric cutout on my 06 hemi ram. I'm planning on going with the stock exhaust, to avoid any mds noise issues while the cutout is closed. When the cutout is open I will simply switch to tow/haul mode, so mds won't be an issue then either. A few questions though. First, where is a good place to find a dmh or qtp cutout and a cutout pipe for a good price. the lowest price I've seen was on dmh's website at 200 bucks for both the pipe and the eletric cutout. Also, what kind of performance gains could I expect from doing this? Any other recommendations or comments are welcome.
Thanks
djr04
Cutouts are cool, I love the sound of an open exhaust, but MDS and cutouts should never be in the same sentence. Because if your using the cutouts then you should have a heavy throttle, and when you have a heavy throttle the MDS system should never activate. So long story short, you should never have to worry about it.

Quick Reply: electric cutout questions