3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odometer myth BUSTED

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer myth BUSTED

With the recent threads in here, I have taken it upon myself to check them out. So I called a friend of the family who works at Chrysler truck/jeep. I told him about the forums and the issues we have on here with people trying to figure out how to stop the Odometer... I told him about the one where if you turn the key a certain way it will stop the odometer from "rolling".... He said first of all tell them it is illegal... SO IT IS ILEGAL.... and second that he doubts that will work because if you turn the key it will stop the motor. He also said that they have the digital Odos now so people cant commit fraud. He basically made it sound like there is no may to do it without messing up the truck.

I looked further into this, and tried it... guess what... doesnt work, a little bit of force counter clockwise on the key will infact turn the engine off... big surprise... a turn clockwise on the key will shut off all power(Radio, HVAC, etc) but the dash.

I kinda hope someone trying it will turn the key off, stop the motor, loose power steering and crash!

Now with that said, can we please not have any more stupid Odometer threads...

Old 01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
motorider228
Champion
Default RE: Odometer myth BUSTED

ORIGINAL: moparkj

Now with that said, can we please not have any more stupid Odometer threads...
I'm down but just wait a week until this thread is off the page and some noob finds this forum on google because he wants to ask how to turn his odometer off. This forum is by far the worst I have ever been on for people coming on here, asking two questions then leaving. More repeat threads here than anywhere I have seen as well.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:24 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

Sticky maybe?

Old 01-29-2007, 03:59 PM
motorider228
Champion

How about a sticky saying, "we won't help your degenerate *** screw people by doing illegal stuff with your truck" haha. I think most people who believe they can cheat a digital odometer are far too convinced it works already or just entirely too gullible. I don't see how somebody with a logical working brain would think they can cheat an odometer that easily just by tripping the ignition or cutting some wire. I think Daimler Chrysler goes through some rigorous R&D to make it so this can't happen because they don't want to get their sales screwed up by people tripping the odometer. This is good info though considering some people need to hear it from an engineer that would actually know.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:14 PM
raidermike67
Veteran

I kinda hope someone trying it will turn the key off, stop the motor, loose power steering and crash!
>>>>>>>>>>>

Careful what you hope for, that guy could be right in front of you and your kids or coming the opposite way on a highway.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:13 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker

Good thing I dont have kids.

I hope it to be more of a wake up call... if anyone else on here has lost power steering on the freeway they know it scares the hell out of you.(happened in my Jeep) and hopefully this will discourage people from posting stupid threads trying to screw the system.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:18 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

When I turn my key forwards while driving, it shuts off all electrical in my vehicle, the radio/dash/lights/everything... Only the basic mechanical functions of the vehicle work. So it does stop the odometer, *AND* it removes the eletronic governer, so I can go faster than 175km/h. But as soon as I let go of the key, al devices turn back on, and the mileage comes back up to normal, as it's being stored elsewhere.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:06 PM
raidermike67
Veteran

I'll just quote my dearly departed grandfather RIP!

"you see Mike, these cars are specifically engineered by the manufacturer so that every thing works together properly, you see all these guys who jack up the rear end, soup up the engines and all that fancy stuff? They are the guys always having problems".

I find this on the ATV forums all the times. Guys dump 5 grand into an already race ready ATV but are CONSTANTLY having to tweak something here or there. 5 grand being conservative.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:18 PM
gunner8255

>>>>>>>>>>>
That said; the moderators really need to remove all the odometer tampering threads from the forum.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:49 PM
cr80renob
Captain

Actually it is possible. I have a buddy that drives from AZ to CA to do sound jobs for comercials about once a week. He has a van to put his sound equipment in and get them to the set. He sets the cruise, then has a switch to the power source for the dash, flips the switch and turns off all the power to the instrument panel (still gets radio and all that). So, moral of the story is........IT'S POSSIBLE. Though I don't think it is the right thing to do

Quick Reply: Odometer myth BUSTED