3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HID/Projector Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:02 PM
jbranum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID/Projector Upgrade

I'm new to the forums so bear with me please.

I am wanting to upgrade my '03 Ram's headlights to HID's. I found out today that using the stock assembly will cause the HID's to be weak and unfocused, a no-no. I did find out that getting the Projector retrofit for the truck allows the HID's to then be focused and used properly. My question is, "What brand projector should I go with?" I found a few on ebay, some of them priced well below $200. I just don't want to be bamboozled and buy an inferior product on ignorance. Has anyone done this conversion toa projector kid and had a lot of success or failure? Any comments would be nice, or even a respectable establishment to buy them from. I'm hoping not to spend over 250 though since the HID's will be around 300 at a later date. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:21 PM
shnormo
Veteran
Default RE: HID/Projector Upgrade

http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?...p;Category=293

I got some H.I.D.s for sale. Let me know through a PM or contact me by e-mail. Shnormo05@hotmail.com

Old 02-01-2007, 02:05 AM
05_FL_RAM
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all ..... find new points of view on the topic.....

the light spread used on the HID will be the same as it is on the current halogens.

the bulb uses the housing surface to focus the light....ther will be no less focuse than your current bulbs.

the difference is in the color (wavelength) of the light being produced by the bulb itself.

if there is anything that is not ideal for the HID, it would be the plastic light cover (if the 03 is the same as my 05). even if you replace the light with the kind you are talking about, there will still be plastic ahead of the beam for it to pass through.

I use a McCulloch 5000K kit on my Hayabusa and it uses the same type of light reflection as my truck...the only difference is the glass housing on the bike.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:42 AM
somerandomguy175
Professional

i have them in my 2004 dodge ram 1500 both my headlights and my foglights i love them and i dont have the projectors....i think the rm looks stupid with the small little projectors...if you want ill send you some pics and i can also get you a pair of hids for under 150 bucks.....lemme kno

Old 02-12-2007, 01:49 AM
hemi06ram

What no love for us 06/07 Ram owners? Where are our projector headlights at

Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

You can't use HID bulbs in the projector housings. I got a set, and there is a notice right on the housing; "HID BULB NOT ALLOWED!"

Old 02-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Superpug42

Not to mention - um illegal? I know I know, hate to rain on everyones parade. It would be different if say we were driving BMW's or Acuras which had the option of HID's from the factory. Trust me, some smart cop will figure out that a truck should not have such high powered headlights and give ya a ticket.

Anyone had this experience? I would love to have them, but cant afford another ticket for something stupid...[:@]

Old 02-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Ricker
Professional

Why would it be illegal to install HID headlights in your truck? Unless there's some law I don't know about that prohibits a person from doing such. As long as you don't point it at someone's rearview mirror, I don't see a problem with it.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 AM
syn65

So if a guy want's the high end BMW or Acura style headlight's, what's the best bet ? And where could i find the kit ?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-14-2007, 03:47 AM
shnormo
Veteran

NSTA stipulations state that any H.I.D. kit is illegal. Only factory equipped vehicles prior to 2004 are legal.

Quick Reply: HID/Projector Upgrade