3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Hard starting PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 11:26 PM
JTMoney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Hard starting PLEASE HELP

I have a 2005 Ram 2500 Hemi Powered. It turns over twice or three times as long as it should before finally starting. When it does start it puffs out some black smoke and idles like crap. I put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail. I would loose 10-20 pounds within a few hours. So I replaced the pump. Still same symptoms. Has anyone seen any bad injectors in these Hemi's?? I thank you for any help. I have over 70k on the motor. (Getting multiple cyl missfire code)

Old 02-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker
Default RE: Hemi Hard starting PLEASE HELP

have you changed plugs since then, they could be fouled out now.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:54 PM
JTMoney

They were changed @ 25k and 50k. The truck has been starting hard for some time. At first it would only do it after it had been running and then sut down for a few hours. Now it seems to be doing it almost all of the time. It is almost like it is flooding out.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am talking completely out my *** here,but I heard tell of a fella that had an injector go bad in a diesel (grodie motors) and had fuel leak through the injector into the cylinder,the truck would not start untill the raw fuel was pumped out of the cylinder.He also lost all his line pressure,everyone thought it was a bad injector pump,but it turned out to be a single injector. I dont know if this applies to your situation or not,as you have multiple misfire codes,but I thought I would throw it out there for you.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:25 PM
JTMoney

Thx for the input. I belive most of them if not all of my injectors are leaking down. It just sucks that I cannot find a shop that will test them. I hate throwing parts at my truck in the hopes of fixing it.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Scootr
Professional

Sure does sound like bad/clogged injectors to me. Had the same symptoms on my wifes vehicle a few years back. I was able to make it somewhat better by adding some heavy duty injector cleaner to the tank.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a tank of Chevron Injector cleaner.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:06 PM
JTMoney

I bought a quart of the lucas additiveand added some at every fill up. Unfortunatlyit did not help. I will try that Chevron stuff I know it is really good stuff. I might trade it off tomorrow. I am considering a Cummins. What do you think?????

Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Scootr
Professional

A CTD would be sweet,but if your trade is puffing smoke and idling rough they will definitely low ball you on the trade (not that they don't already). If you get a sweet enough deal I say do it. If you had just over 70K miles on a CTD that would mean it's just barely getting broke in,lol!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 04:54 PM
JTMoney

Hopefully the rough idle will not be that big of a deal. I have the extended warranty so they can fix it after I trade it in. I cannot wait for the CTD. However that HEMI has been a great motor to me. With the exception of the HEMI tick/knock....

Quick Reply: Hemi Hard starting PLEASE HELP