3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 RAM tranny failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:01 PM
jackman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 RAM tranny failure

Had to let the ram owners know this. First this truck is a 06 quad cab, 4x4 thunder road edition, loaded. purchased 8 months ago, List at 38,900 now with 11,000 miles (All HWY) out of the blue the transmission failed, Slipping in and out of gear for about 10 sec. Then refused to lock into any gear. Got out checked oil level in tranny, was great except smoke was venting out of the tube and the oil smelled burnt. So although I was a bit pissed off, what the heck its under warranty, call for the tow. truck sat a dealer across the super sunday weekend and first thing Monday I call the service Manager he said they would get it in to look at today. Great forward momentum. I asked about a rental or loaner (This is also the 2nd new vech I purchased from them in the past 9 months) Guess what they do not supply loaners, Ok what about Dodge, No way jose. Ok a long call and hold time and I got DCC to spring for a rental for 3 days. (I figured that sounded about right to swap out a Tranny. Talked to the SM again around 2 to see whats up. Got told it would take a week to get a decision on what they would do. First they need to remove the tranny, then tear it down, make a report to DCC, wait for their response if to , fix or replace it. So maybe Friday I will know if it will one or two weeks more. I am stuck paying for a rental because they are slow. No logic in the thinking, Vech new with less than 12,000 mile, major internal damage to the transmission would it not be cheaper just to put a new one in than to spend 40 labor hours on CSI. Next I will not be happy with any kind of rebuild done in a dealership shop. DCC , AKA DODGE/CHRYSLER has found any way possible to cut ther cost and supply the worst customer service as possible.
I did not see many post on the 06 rams as they are so new but at 11,000 to have a tranny fail, its not looking good long term.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 06 RAM tranny failure

It can happen to any vehical, but there has'nt been any reports of trouble with the new 5-speed auto trannyin the Ram. I would call Dodge customer care and express your service concerns.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally agree with the above call. Red

Old 02-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Foiled
Veteran

Call Dodge, they already gave you a 3 day rental if you plead your case with them I bet they spring for the total time. Just remind them how many Dodge's you have bought and how much of an inconvenience this is for you and your family. They are normally good about it if you are kind on the phone.

Let us know. I have an 06 also and would like to know the outcome.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
jackman

Thanks, Just wanted to put this out so people will watch for the same issues on theirs. Tried working with DCC and the shop but they all seam to be on a vacation from actual work. The shop said they only have one trans guy and he is backed up. Like I told them I understand buy how is this my problem. I do not care if they keep it for a month if someone covers the cost of rental. DCC offered to pay for 3 days so that will reduce my rental car fees down to about 300.00. I love the truck, I just have a issue when something major fails this quick. Its not the first time I have had to battle the MFG and the dealer to get something done. I will post again when they tell me what their master plan is.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:22 PM
jackman

Thanks,I am sure I will get a better response when they find out what went wrong. I do love the truck, the new redesign gives a better ride, still not liking the seats but the power adjustments help for comfort. I wonder if any of the CAI and pro chips are realy worth it. How did yours fair?

I still in shock on how if failed with no warning, a componet broke or the hyd pump was defective, either way I work the trans every day living in the smokey mountians. No flat roads here.
Jack

Old 02-05-2007, 11:13 PM
helopilot
Veteran

Just out of curiousity do you do a lot of highway driving? Do you pass people alot by flooring it and downshifting from like 50 mph and above?

Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 PM
jackman

I realy drive the truck normally as would anyone, If damage was to be done I would think the motor would see issues well before the trans. I just think I had a defect in the trans that showed up catastrophic failure. Too many dam parts in these 5 speed autos.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
helopilot
Veteran

A couple of people have been burning up transmissions lately because when you are driving in O/D, 4th or 5th gear, and floor it, the transmission will downshift to 2nd using the weaker O/D clutches. Those are the things that have been burning up.

However with that being said, if you activate Tow/Haul prior to stomping the pedal it will downshift to the main 2nd gear clutches with no problems.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 PM
jackman

Not sure if this means anything but this happened out of the blue on a day when it was about 12 F outside. I started the truck to let it warm up, About 5 min later I reversed out of my driveway, went down the mountian to my mail box. Got the mail and put it into forward, Nothing for a min. then it caught gear, gave gas and she started slipping bad, tried reverse, same issue. Got out and check the fluid level. Was good but smoke from the tube, burnt fluid smell.engine light came on, got my code reader, got po0700 trans control sys malfunction, po0731 gear 1 ratio incorect, po0736 reverse ratio incorect, po0871 trans fluid press sensor C CKT range/perf, po0876 trans fluid press sensor D range/perf

Tried clearing codes but they came right back. I think I had a hydraulic system failure and took out the 1st/rev cluches. What do you think? Ran fine the day before this happened

Quick Reply: 06 RAM tranny failure