3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Awesome News for Hemi's with SRT-10 Hoods

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Foiled
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Awesome News for Hemi's with SRT-10 Hoods

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

ORIGINAL: Foiled

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

Old news, way too much money on volant crap, and too many turns for the air to bend around flow will be reduced.
You must not understand how it works.

These do not take air and force it into the intake, that is useless anyway. Ram Air at 70mph = about 4% of 1psi. They fill the box with cold air from outside of the engine compartment. Then the intake can pull cold air in. There is a port that lets the extra air that is forced in the box out including any water that may make it in.

And it is not old news. They just released the add on to their Hemi CAI Box that gets the air via the SRT-10 Hood.
YOU must not understand how the forum works. Which is fair because you've only been registered for a month.

#1 -I've been a member for2 years, and I've seen every type of intake question asked DOZENS of times, andI have seen that EXACT model of volant intake with the scoop mounting DIRECTLY behind the SRT-10 hood about 6-12 months ago. It's not "brand new" by any stretch of the imagination.

#2 - The path of least resistance is [AND WILL ALWAYS BE] a straight line. For air to come into a scoop, then make a 90 bend to the left, then enter a box and make 2 more 90 degree turns before leaving the box on the way to the intake, where it makes yet one more 90 degree bend... WILL REDUCE FLOW.

#3 - The best solution is an intake that bolts onto the throttle body directy behind the SRT-10 scoop. Yes it rains, and *YES* you will get some water into the scoop and dampen the filter. Here's a question for you;
In the late 60's and early 70's when muscle cars ran wild all over the continent, most of them had open scoops with filter mounted directly behind, what did those gentleman do when it rained? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! A wet filter is going to clean particles out of the air more efficiently than a dry one. I don't remember my father ever complaining about his Cutlass 442 w/ 455-rocket having any problems because of his open filter and the rain.

#4 - Removed by moderator for good reason [re: I was being a douche]
Thanks for keeping me in check 94rtohio

Well, I guess the folks at Volant do not know anything about their products. The one in the photo is for the SRT-10 Truck. The new one has just been released. It is so new they said they have not taken a photo of it yet and plan on doing the shoot this week and posting them on the web.

The scoop intake you are talking about has a small filter mounted in the scoop. As I remember as an air filter gets wet it will hold water. Now I do not remember air passing through a filter that is full of water very well.

Like I said before where I live we get a lot of rain. Maybe in a dry environment that straight intake into the engine would be great but it would suck for anyone driving in rain all day long.

The filter they were using in a Cutlass 442 was much larger then the small ram air filter we are talking about.

And Since I am new rob[GL], please explain to me how this Forum works. I did not read the rules in your post. I thought it was here to discuss. I do not see what you meant buy my inability to understand how it works. Unless you were meaning that because I am new I do not know anything I am talking about and you feel the need to be rude to any new people. Yeah, that works well. Now I know why I see so many unanswered posts here. People like you do not want new people here to challenge you.

Ricker,

The intake box acting like a reservoir is just how this works. I never said it was a "Ram Air" intake. I only said it provided cold air from outside of the engine compartment.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 AM
snake2083
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pretty much agree with you Foiled, I can't see water flowing into an engine intake, filter or not, to be a good thing. I know of the hood that everyone was talking about. I'd really like to get it but I'm still unsure about how it handles heavy rain. The website says that it has a dam for water, but would like to see one for myself before I spend 1500 bucks on one (including the intake). Yeah, the filter may stop some of it but what happens when the filter gets soaked? Seems like a pretty risky gamble between a hood/intake that costs around $1500 or an engine that probably costs around 7 or 8 grand, because I'm willing to bet that your warranty isn't going to cover damage from water intrusion with an aftermarket intake.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Ricker
Professional

Well Foiled, I'm sorry that you had to encounter this type of response being new and all. I'm fairly new myself and I've learned quickly that ideas are better tossed around than opinions. But don't get discouraged, many guys and girls on here are very knowledgable and trustworthy, even if they do come across as a punk at first. Forgive and forget, continue on. We're all family! Right???

Old 02-08-2007, 11:11 AM
GFB
Professional

Does anybody have an airflow diagram showing pressure areas along a ram's bodyline? I know on most square shaped vehicles the front of the hood is a low pressure area and there would be no benefit from a ram air hood other than styling. Sure, the intake would be a good source for cold air, but not necessarily forced air. That's why cowl induction hoods work so efficiently--the area where the hood and windshield meet is almost always a positive pressure area.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:02 AM
mdram43
Record Breaker

anyone find a good water proof srt-10 hood intake that doesnt suck in water, and no the air filter will not filter out water. but i just got an srt-10 and want to get an intake that will suck in air from the scoop but not water.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After this summer I'd like to get an SRT-10 hood and CAI but funds right now are in short supply saving for summer vacation.

Quick Reply: Awesome News for Hemi's with SRT-10 Hoods