3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Awesome News for Hemi's with SRT-10 Hoods

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Foiled
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awesome News for Hemi's with SRT-10 Hoods

Volant is releasing an adaptor kit for the HEMI CAI kit that will port the air from the hood scoop into the box.

It works just like the SRT-10 CAI.

You will remove the lid to the box and add the hood scoop port on to there.

Part Numbers are.

16857 = CAI Kit

36597 = SRT-10 Hood Scoop air port.

It will look similar to this.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Default RE: Awesome News for Hemi's with SRT-10 Hoods

Old news, way too much money on volant crap, and too many turns for the air to bend around flow will be reduced.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:06 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah there's a company that has a direct ram air set up for it...the filter sets right behind the opening in the hood and seals around the opening and goes right to the TB...

Old 02-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Foiled
Veteran

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

Old news, way too much money on volant crap, and too many turns for the air to bend around flow will be reduced.
You must not understand how it works.

These do not take air and force it into the intake, that is useless anyway. Ram Air at 70mph = about 4% of 1psi. They fill the box with cold air from outside of the engine compartment. Then the intake can pull cold air in. There is a port that lets the extra air that is forced in the box out including any water that may make it in.

And it is not old news. They just released the add on to their Hemi CAI Box that gets the air via the SRT-10 Hood.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Foiled
Veteran

ORIGINAL: hemiyellow

yah there's a company that has a direct ram air set up for it...the filter sets right behind the opening in the hood and seals around the opening and goes right to the TB...

I have seen this one. I live in a very rainy area. I do not like the idea of filling my filter up with water. In the spring and fall here it can rain several inches a week.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:25 AM
sspp
Professional

These are a nice (but pricey) alternative...

http://www.hambekcustoms.com/products.php

Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone makes a much less expensive version for the Hemi Ram as someone else stated. Does the same thing, gets the air from outside the truck through the scoop. Although I have not seen one advertised lately.

Personally I wish the government would regulate manufacturer claims of HP gains, the CAI world is as bad as the cat back world. Their HP gains are very inflated. It just upsets me that these manufacturers can get away with it. The issue is people will buy their product based on thoseclaims and never know any better becauseonly aVERY SMALL percentage would ever do a base dyno and after dyno for a CAI install. Think about it, why spend $50+ for a dyno pull to see if your $250 CAIwas worth it...

Arethere any gains? Sure. Are they 15-25HP? I have never seen it!

Will you be able to "feel" the increase HP from a CAI? Not likely, 5-10HP does not feel like anything. It is about 2% or less HP increase for a Hemi. Now if you had 3-4 mods all giving 5-10HP each then yes, they would be noticable in the seat.

Also consider this, at startup and in the winterit does even less for you as the engine bay is already cool/cold.

Do they sound cool? Well if you like the sound of the engine pulling in air, then yes it does sound cool.

This is based on experience. Tear me down, applaude me, I do not care. Just trying to pass along some knowledge.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:34 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

ORIGINAL: Foiled

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

You must not understand how it works.

These do not take air and force it into the intake, that is useless anyway. Ram Air at 70mph = about 4% of 1psi. They fill the box with cold air from outside of the engine compartment. Then the intake can pull cold air in. There is a port that lets the extra air that is forced in the box out including any water that may make it in.

And it is not old news. They just released the add on to their Hemi CAI Box that gets the air via the SRT-10 Hood.
YOU must not understand how the forum works. Which is fair because you've only been registered for a month.

#1 -I've been a member for2 years, and I've seen every type of intake question asked DOZENS of times, andI have seen that EXACT model of volant intake with the scoop mounting DIRECTLY behind the SRT-10 hood about 6-12 months ago. It's not "brand new" by any stretch of the imagination.

#2 - The path of least resistance is [AND WILL ALWAYS BE] a straight line. For air to come into a scoop, then make a 90 bend to the left, then enter a box and make 2 more 90 degree turns before leaving the box on the way to the intake, where it makes yet one more 90 degree bend... WILL REDUCE FLOW.

#3 - The best solution is an intake that bolts onto the throttle body directy behind the SRT-10 scoop. Yes it rains, and *YES* you will get some water into the scoop and dampen the filter. Here's a question for you;
In the late 60's and early 70's when muscle cars ran wild all over the continent, most of them had open scoops with filter mounted directly behind, what did those gentleman do when it rained? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! A wet filter is going to clean particles out of the air more efficiently than a dry one. I don't remember my father ever complaining about his Cutlass 442 w/ 455-rocket having any problems because of his open filter and the rain.

#4 - Removed by moderator for good reason [re: I was being a douche]
Thanks for keeping me in check 94rtohio

Old 02-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Ricker
Professional

My dad also had a 455cid Cutlass 442, nice. Ram air only createspsi if it is a TRUE ram air, like robGL said; a straight path into the throttle body. Having multiple curves disrupts the pressure, causing the air box to act more like a reservoir, allowing the engine to 'pull' cool out of the air box.
Water will not affect this either. That's what the filter does. Filter out the bad stuff. Water is bad stuff.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Max00racer
Veteran

haha I bought my cold air off ebay for 40$. Sounds cool at least...it hisses at ya.

Quick Reply: Awesome News for Hemi's with SRT-10 Hoods