3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

Hey. Now the car I am having trouble with is my 2006 t&c with 7000 miles but I thought I wouldnt get many responses in the caravan section and I figured it didnt really matter since this is just a battery problem. Ok well it has been pretty cold here (about 5- -5 degrees F) for the past few days with that artic front that came through in northern Ohio and my van has had trouble starting. It cranks, but not nearly like it should. Now I know that in the cold a car wont turnover as fast as it should, but when I go to start it it will kind of grind along and barely start. I am a bit of a mechanic myself but I wanted to see if I should take it into the dealer and have them put a new battery in it. After it runs for a wile, it restarts better but still not perfect. The batteries cold cranking amps are rated at 0 degrees farenheit so it should be just fine. My 2006 dakota will turnover fine in this weather. I put my muilti meter on the battery and revved it a few times so I know that the alternator is ok. Also before you start it after it sits the lights are dim and such. I am pretty sure that one of the cells are dead in the battery, but like I said I wanted to see what you guys think and if they will give me a hard time putting in a battery when it starts ok (it is a 25 minute trip to the dealer so the alternator would be going.) Thanks!!

Old 02-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery

Its sounds like it's time for a new battery. If you had a dead cell, the battery would go dead in a very short time. If you wait too long, it can also damage the alternator by demanding a higher than normal load, especially in the cold weather. Don't wait long, it could leave you wishing you had already changed it. This is something you should be able to do yourself.Its very easy-----just make sure you remove the negative terminal first, so there is no accidental shorting to positive. Also make sure the cable lugs are clean, and clean the new battery posts before you connect it. Oh, connect the positive first, then the negative---fire it up!!!

Good Luck!!

Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 PM
BRINKLEY
Professional

If you can run by autozone or some place like that they will check your battery for you.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:18 AM
djr04
All Star

Yeah sounds like a toasted battery. You may want to give a visual check of it too, any bulging would indicate a bad cell. I had a 95 jimmy that didn't indicate any battery problems, but then the headlights would randomly stop working. Ended up being a bad cell, when I replaced the battery, it was bulged out like it had frozen. Also happened in the winter during a subzero week.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Thanks for the input guys; I know you were just tryin to help "gone fishin" but I do alot more than change batteries but the van is leased and under warrenty so there is no way I would put a battery in it. They would! lol THANKS!!

Quick Reply: Battery