3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance Muffler For 05 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:44 PM
oakleys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Muffler For 05 Ram

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 Quad Cab with a Hemi. I want to cut out the stock muffler, and install a
Flowmaster 50 Series HD muffler in it's place. Anyone done this? It looks like the stock muffler is a lot longer than
the Flowmaster muffler. So, I think extra pipe will have to be added. Will just replacing the muffler only give me the
performance I am looking for? Instead of doing the whole cat back system? Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Ricker
Professional
Default RE: Performance Muffler For 05 Ram

I have a 50 series on my 4.7L. When installing an aftermarket muffler, usually the original outlet pipe will not be the correct length to hook up to the new muffler and the shop will have to bend a new pipe for you. As with this particular muffler, it is considerably shorter than the stock unit, so a new outlet pipe will be needed. Also, when purchasing your new muffler, pay attention to the inlet/outlet sizes. Mine is 2.5 inches inlet with dual 2.25 inch outlets. A new intermediate pipe (the pipe between the cat and the muffler) was also needed for mine as the original did not fit the new inlet size.

Another way to go about keeping the original outlet pipe is extending the intermediate pipe so that the new muffler hooks up to the original outlet pipe. This would require a new intermediate pipe, but this is much shorter than bending a new outlet pipe and thus would be a little cheaper.

Hope this helps! Most muffler shops help you out and make it a breeze to install a new muffler. Go with a trusted shop and they'll have you running in no time.

Edit: Also, ask for Aluminized pipe so it doesn't rust.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:07 PM
oakleys

Thanks for the info. How is the sound of this muffler for you? I understand that it might be a little different with my engine being a hemi, but
was it a lot louder? Thanks.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Ricker
Professional

Oh yeah, lots louder but not disturbing. Flowmasters have a muscular/metal tone that always reminds me of a muscle car. The HEMI has a slightly deeper note than the 4.7L, but it should still scream with this Flowmaster. The 50 HD muffler was actually designed with big displacement/high horsepower trucks in mind. I love the sound.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:43 PM
oakleys

Can I ask what your's cost at the muffler shop? Thanks.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Ricker
Professional

Haha, funny story. My twin brother had the exact same thing done to his truck, couple weeks before I did mine. They charged him $250. I told them they did my brother's truck so they asked me what they charged him. $200 I said. So they gave me mine for $190. Sucked for my bro but paid off for me. If you go in with a price, they might be able to work with you.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:40 PM
darend

Insatalled a 50 series SUV on my 06 Megacab. Went with the SUV as the muffler sits under the cab. Removed the resonator also. Did add the pipe to fit the shorter muffler and to make up for the missing resonator. The truck already has 3" pipes, so no real need for cat back. WHole thing was about 200 installed. Sounds great and mileage/performance increased. With the new sound, I am having trouble keeping my foot out of it!

Quick Reply: Performance Muffler For 05 Ram