3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3.7 Oil filter vs. all the rest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 03:45 PM
pizza442
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3.7 Oil filter vs. all the rest?

Ah ha! I new there was a reason I saw the fat one listed for everything other than the V6 in the aftermarket catalogs!

Rustymini: Are you sure the V6 was listed in the Mopar catalog/sheet at Walmart? The catalog I saw at my Walmart was a separate lamanated sheet for only the Mopar filters, only for the one size filter they started carrying, and placed by the Mopar filters On it was a bunch of listings for recent years for this one filter and all were V8s, but I couldn't find the V6 listed on it anywhere which is why I didn't want to buy it.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:26 AM
rustymini

I will check the application guide next time I go to Walmart. Not 100% what the guide sheet next to the Mopar filters stated. Not sure if it said something like "fits all 1999-2006", or said it actually fit 2004 V-6. I do know that there was a separate guide, like you mentioned, just for the Mopar filters

Old 03-11-2007, 11:40 PM
usnfirefighter
Professional

IMO I wouldn't put a different oil filter on than what's recommended. When I had my truck I always used the Fram Heavy duty 3600.( I think). Never had any problems. Only reason I say go with what's listed in the book, is in the event something happens to your motor with a different filter on than recommended, it could make for some costly repair. Just my $0.02.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:53 PM
rustymini

I checked the application guide at Walmart, I was wrong. It did not say anything about the Mopar filters Walmart carries working on the late model V-6. Seems they fit every other Mopar, just not theV-6.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Cordoba man
Professional

Well, I just read the link on the filters study. WOW! I've been buying fram PH-8 almost all my life. Except for where they're too long like my Sebring 2.7 and my old big blocks had to be short filters for the power steering. The study does have some holes though. Like the Mitsubishi 3.0L Chrysler used recommended the small one you're talking about. I always used the large PH-8A like for the 5.0L fords because it always fit. Apparently, the tiny filter from Purolator or Champion has the same filter surface area as the huge PH-8!
Mine is a hemi, so I don't know of any clearance problems on the V-6 but I've been using the long PH-8. \
After reading that other page, I'll switch to NAPAor AC.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:14 PM
dswan414
Rookie

Maybe that bracket is there so you don't put on the wrong (too big, i.e. V8) oil filter.

Quick Reply: 3.7 Oil filter vs. all the rest?