3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny is screwed, I blame superchips.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007 | 01:27 AM
dillyw
Professional
Default RE: Tranny is screwed, I blame superchips.

This is why i dont have intrest in stuff like that , just dont trust it .And (Motorider228) thanks for heads up.

Old 02-20-2007 | 01:29 AM
shnormo
Veteran

**** super chips. **** dealers and you're lucky you got a cool dealership.

Old 02-20-2007 | 03:55 PM
deanj287
Captain

the trannys in the 04 and newer hemis is a piece of ****!
they dont have strong enough clutches in the second gears to hold up to even stock power under abuse. tell me this...is most of your wot done at 40 -70 milage range when the tranny cant downshiftto first but cant stay in third? thats our weak links!! even turnin od or tow haul off is not enough. if you want to go into second then manualy downshift it there and let the truck do its thing (take its time) these trannys are much better from 0-100 than 45-100. second gear just doesnt have the support it needs when downshifted from fourth (OD). fourth gear or od also has a pathetic set up of clutches that cant hold up either... so when street drivin or moderate high way speeds and you floor it guess wat...form one weak gear to another and weak cluctches in between! there are many tranny techs at performance shops that know all about this and this is not something new!!! check dodgetruckworld.com as they have covered this to heavily!

my explaining may be a tad bit off but this is the basics of wat our trannys do.

Old 02-20-2007 | 04:44 PM
Stroker
Veteran

I still don't know where super chips is to blame here. You are the one who trusted a diagnosis over the internet. Yea that guy on the other end may be a trany pro but your click might be his clank so there is no way to accuratly diagnose a noise or conition that can have these type of variables. I've driven cars with a whole lot more power than our hemis with som hellashish shift kits and they don't make a noise I would even think would be of concern. If you heard a noise that concerned you your should have gone streight to a profesional to have them diagnose it then. Your leavingthe chipin makes it your fault.Not that there's anything wrong with getting opinions online, I've gotten help from here and other places many times, but I always take it with a grain of salt and if it is a potentionally serious problem I take it to a pro.And Dean is right other then it's been way before 04 that these trannys have sucked eggs, but these trannys are junk and you might have been having a problem before you put the chip in but the chip just amplified it. Hell I had to have my bone stock tranny fixed with less then 12,000 miles on it.

Old 02-20-2007 | 07:24 PM
theslaydons

Just my 2 cents, but I was told by my local dealer in VA that plug and play turners like superchips wouldnt void a factory warranty. They did tell me that the reason you unload the program before you take it in is because if they flash it it will change some of the settings and lock out the superchip. You would then have to go to superchips and get them to send you a flash for your flashpak to clear out the previous info saved in it.

Old 02-20-2007 | 07:51 PM
Kane

will agree with slaydons on this.

I was in the area of my dealer the other day and stopped to get my truck washed. went into service and all the guys liked the sound of my magnaflow exhaust. one of the service guys said he had flowmasters on his 2006along with a CAI and a superchip. He asked me right in front of the whole service dept. if I was gonna get a superchip. I said I wasnt sure and I didnt think they were out for 2007 yet. he pulled it up on the computer to confirm this for me and said he could order it if I want. Dodge service guy and he said he highly recommends it.

Old 02-20-2007 | 07:57 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

where the hell is a good old 727 when you need one!

Old 02-20-2007 | 08:30 PM
motorider228
|
Champion

Well I talked to the tech advisor this morning and he said they had to rebuild my tranny but he didn't tell me the exact problem, I will find out the exact problem at 4:30 when I pick my truck up and get back to all of you. It sounds like by the way he was talking that there was a previous weak link in my tranny and it just got pushed too far and I think the programmer just made my problem prevelent as it started the day I installed the programmer. I will be selling the superchips anyways as I don't want to deal with anything else like this as I would rather wait until the warrany is gone until I do some more work. I think when the warrany is gone I'll just get a transgo shift kit and perhaps a B&Gpcm but until then I will be left with just my exhaust, CAI and headers when the dynatechs come out for my 06. Also, they never asked any questions about my driving syle or if I had a programmer or anything.

If anyone is interested in the programmer I will let it go for less than any advertised price if you show me an add or anything.

Old 02-20-2007 | 08:47 PM
hemi06ram

how much fo r the chip then?

Old 02-20-2007 | 08:59 PM
motorider228
|
Champion

$325? Cheapest I have seen it is $350 I believe. If you come back with a link showing your cheapest price you have found on it I will adjust the price accordingly. Any price we agree upon includes shipping as well unlike any website you order from.

Quick Reply: Tranny is screwed, I blame superchips.