3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

XM and Sirius Sat radio are merging. I just got a email from both companies.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007 | 05:37 PM
Mystro
|
Captain
Default XM and Sirius Sat radio are merging. I just got a email from both companies.

Dear XM Radio Subscriber:[/align][/align]We want to share with you some exciting news: Yesterday, in Washington DC, we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service. [/align][/align]The merger will create a satellite radio company that will provide consumers across the country with more and better premium radio programming. The combined company will be able to compete better in what has become a very complex and dynamic entertainment market. [/align][/align]Where today our exclusive contracts mean you had to choose between baseball and football or Oprah and Martha Stewart, the new company will seek to ensure that in the future, you will be able to access both companies' programming. And, once we are fully integrated, those of you who have factory-installed satellite radio will no longer be limited to the programming provided by the exclusive satellite radio service chosen by their car manufacturer. [/align][/align]This merger should be completed in late 2007 or early in 2008. Throughout the year, we will provide updates on how the merger is progressing and information will be available at our website, www.xmradio.com. [/align][/align]Between today and the merger date, as well as during the period immediately after the merger date, all of your services will remain the same. The channel lineup, the customer service number, the great music technology, and the XM Radio web site will all remain unchanged and there will be no disruption to service. But, if you have questions, information will be available and maintained on our website, and you can contact our Listener Care team at 800-XMRADIO, with questions and concerns. [/align][/align]XM Radio continues to be committed to providing you the highest quality audio entertainment and customer service available today. After the merger, our new company will be able to offer you the most exciting listening experience in radio. [/align][/align]Sincerely, [/align][/align]Hugh Panero[/align]CEO, XM Satellite Radio[/align]
I have both XM and Sirius in different vehicals. I hope it will bring the price down for multiple radios.

Old 02-20-2007 | 06:47 PM
jeffjs
Professional
Default RE: XM and Sirius Sat radio are merging. I just got a email from both companies.

I would bet the pricing will now go up - less competition!

Old 02-20-2007 | 08:24 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Default RE: XM and Sirius Sat radio are merging. I just got a email from both companies.

What are the prices for XM and Sirius?

Old 02-20-2007 | 11:07 PM
cbrewer954
Professional

Remember, it will only go through if the FCC allows it. They may consider it a monopoly and block the merge. We'll see what happens.

Old 02-21-2007 | 01:21 AM
djr04
All Star

Personally, I would like it if the merger didn't go through. They still have to sell the idea to their shareholders and the FCC, according the the email Sirius sent me. Competition in my mind is good, it can keep the prices down and encourage more channels and options to keep up with the other business. I love my Sirius, not a big fan of XM, but that could be due to the fact that I became familiar with Sirius before using XM. Whatever way it turns out, I hope that they keep the channels I listen to at least; I could see them merging stations (rock with rock, etc.) and the radio shows and djs I have grown to enjoy could be removed or changed. I'm sure many XM owners feel the same way. Whatever happens in the end, hopefully it is for the best.

Old 02-21-2007 | 01:54 AM
kpj5br
Rookie

If, and that's a big if, the FCC allows this to happen, it will be a little ways down the road (3 months if all the stars and planets align would be 1 in a million, and that's just to get the approval to do it, then quite a few months to actually pull it off).

Anyone interested in the subject should read today's (Feb 20) Wall Street Journal article on it.

The 1997regulation allowing satellite radio in the first place SPECIFICALLY FORBIDS these two from merging, so they will have to essentially get the regulation changed in order to go through with it.

Quick Reply: XM and Sirius Sat radio are merging. I just got a email from both companies.