3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission service opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:50 PM
cdover73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission service opinions

I have an '03 QC HEMI with 120,000 miles on it. I have never touched the transmission for anything, including servicing. It still has the original oil and filter. The other day I went to a local tranny shop to see about getting it serviced for preventative reasons. When I asked one of the three guys standing behind the counter for a flush and filter changethey all shook their head simultaneously and yelled NO! Their idea was if it is running leave it alone. They said if I go in and stir everything up it is worse than leaving it alone. Needless to say I was shocked over this and am still wondering if their advice is logical. I have not been anywhere to get a second opinion, but I feel I can get the best advice from you guys.
I can see their point as far as stirring up the contaminants in the tranny and that it may be bad. However, you don't not change your engine oil because it might do the same, so why shouldn't I service the tranny? I don't know if they are being honest in telling me to run ituntil it gives up. They are in the business of tranny's and should know more than the average person. However, I wonder if they tell customers that so they will have more work when their's break!
They also surprised me on costs of rebuilding. If my tranny breaks, they charge $2200 to rebuild it, $4200 for a rebuilt one, and said a new one is not even an option! Again, I haven't shopped these prices. I am only going off what this one place told me. They said it is due to my tranny being of Dodge's "new" design and is a very elaborate piece of work internally.
What's your thoughts on this?

Old 02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission service opinions

Wow,I see both sides of that coin, It is so far overdue service that I would be a bit leary of messing with it.I have seen damage done on older vehicles by service such as this. But I am a shade tree mechanic,not an expert. I think I would get a second opinion from another reputable shop!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Mulaka73

ORIGINAL: cdover73

I have an '03 QC HEMI with 120,000 miles on it. I have never touched the transmission for anything, including servicing. It still has the original oil and filter. The other day I went to a local tranny shop to see about getting it serviced for preventative reasons. When I asked one of the three guys standing behind the counter for a flush and filter changethey all shook their head simultaneously and yelled NO! Their idea was if it is running leave it alone. They said if I go in and stir everything up it is worse than leaving it alone. Needless to say I was shocked over this and am still wondering if their advice is logical. I have not been anywhere to get a second opinion, but I feel I can get the best advice from you guys.
I can see their point as far as stirring up the contaminants in the tranny and that it may be bad. However, you don't not change your engine oil because it might do the same, so why shouldn't I service the tranny? I don't know if they are being honest in telling me to run ituntil it gives up. They are in the business of tranny's and should know more than the average person. However, I wonder if they tell customers that so they will have more work when their's break!
They also surprised me on costs of rebuilding. If my tranny breaks, they charge $2200 to rebuild it, $4200 for a rebuilt one, and said a new one is not even an option! Again, I haven't shopped these prices. I am only going off what this one place told me. They said it is due to my tranny being of Dodge's "new" design and is a very elaborate piece of work internally.
What's your thoughts on this?
Just out of curiosity...why have you not changed it in 120,000 miles?

Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Honestly, I think my approach would be a little different, and probably a little more costly. First have the tranny completely flushed and all filters changed, any band adjustment--the full servicing. Drive it for a month and have it done again, all fluids, all filters. When the old filters come out, inspect them carefully, cut them open if you have to, but check the elements for metal debris. Then do it again on the second time around. If you find a lot more debris, do it again a month later. I know, this sounds a bit extreme, but the trannies are meant to have clean fluid in them, not burnt or full of crud. They have a processor in them and solenoid valves. The valves can start seriously sticking if they get debris in them. Burnt or seriously old fluid burns up trannies. Get your hands around the problem now while its small, and doesn't turn into big bucks and down time later.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:59 PM
cdover73
Rookie

I'm ashamed to admit it, but it is true. I have never had the tranny serviced in 120,000 miles. I can throw a bunch of excuses out there such as I put around 40-50,000 miles a year on the truck, never got around to it, didn't have time, or figured since it was a Dodge it would last forever! However, I am an honest man and I have to take the beating I deserve! Ironically, my other vehicle (starts with an F and ends with Mach 1, but I won't mention any names) gets regular services on the drivetrain and I am meticulous in repairing things that are broken, but it had it's 2nd tranny installed with less than 50,000 miles on it! And they say the squeaky wheel gets the grease! Another excuse is I drive the Dodge and my wife drives the F-word so I make sure the service is done on her car to keep me from having to blame her for it breaking. If my truck breaks todayI can still say, "Hey, it has over 120,000 miles on it and this is the first trouble I've had! What's your excuse... you drive a Ford?"!!!
In all seriousness, I know better than to let it go this long, butwhat's done is done. I am still curious aboutwhat was told to me. Those guys at the tranny shop didn't know I have neverserviced it, so what difference would it make to them? As far as they know, I could have changed the fluids every day and they still would have told me what they did.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 PM
cdover73
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

Honestly, I think my approach would be a little different, and probably a little more costly. First have the tranny completely flushed and all filters changed, any band adjustment--the full servicing. Drive it for a month and have it done again, all fluids, all filters. When the old filters come out, inspect them carefully, cut them open if you have to, but check the elements for metal debris. Then do it again on the second time around. If you find a lot more debris, do it again a month later. I know, this sounds a bit extreme, but the trannies are meant to have clean fluid in them, not burnt or full of crud. They have a processor in them and solenoid valves. The valves can start seriously sticking if they get debris in them. Burnt or seriously old fluid burns up trannies. Get your hands around the problem now while its small, and doesn't turn into big bucks and down time later.
I know what you're suggesting and I do agree, that's why I'm trying to figure out why they would have told me that. Even after 120,000 of doing nothing it is never too late to clean it up. I want to change the fluids, but now I'm hesitant because of their advice. I will check around at other places and even call my dealer to see what they say.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:13 PM
BRINKLEY
Professional

When it comes to transmission service, I check the fluid and thats about it. I am surprised to hear them say it at a shop though.I've always heard that messing with the transmission when it is running fine, is like stirring up a hornets nest. So don't feel bad cdover...... you aren't alone. lol

Old 02-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

They probably said it because most people think that just because you did all this service work one time, then its as good as new---not so. I would rather you look back at 208,000 miles and say, damn,that tranny and engine are still running strong like I did with my old 93 dakota 318, 4 spd auto. I changed the tranny fluid and filter every year whether it needed it or not. In fact I knocked a hole in the tranny pan and brazed in a 3/8" coupling so I could drain it without it getting all over the floor---worked wonders No engine rebuilds, no tranny rebuilds. Spend the money a little at a time doing it right so you don't have to spend it all at once on a burnt one.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:29 PM
cdover73
Rookie

I just called the dealer and spoke to a tech that specializes in tranny's. I told him the whole story and he agreed that I shouldn't touch it at this point. He said it is an old rule of thumb that when it gets over 100,000 mi and it ain't broke, don't fix it! He did say it would be different if I had done the regular services andif that had been thecase thenkeep changing it regularly. He also verified the prices. He said $2200 is cheap to rebuild mine, he can get a rebuilt one to replace it for around $2500, and a new one from Chrysler runs about $4800. This is a new style tranny that came out with the 3rd gens and is "a very strong unit". He said he has seen over 200,000 on these without any problems, and others that only needed solenoid pack replacements. In all, I guess I will leave it alone and set $2200 aside in my savings!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:28 PM
daddykirbs
Professional

I'm in this boat now. I have 110K on the transmission and it looks like it's never been changed. When I went to O'reiley's they said "DON'T DO IT"... I stared at them weirdly. Seriously.

Realizing that I was stumped, he went on to say that if it hasn't been done and it has over 75K... don't do it because "it stirs up.... yada yada"

So. I'm in a dilemma. To service or not to service.

I pull a boat and a camper (not at same time) so I feel like I need to do something to make the fluid pretty red again.

Quick Reply: Transmission service opinions