3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

iPOD installation in 2006 RAM (lots of pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:04 PM
The Brit
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPOD installation in 2006 RAM (lots of pictures)

I just installed the MopariPOD Integration kit in my 2006 Ram Powerwagon. I have the REC head unit (GPS and Satelite) andthe Mopar part number of theintegrationkit is 82209617. I guess its from Alpine Electronics.

Thought I'd document the install in photos and some wordsand post it here for anyone else thinking about trying this...

Here is the kit unpacked:

Includes instructions for RAM!

Here are some detailed pictures of the installation:

Pull out the tray. The rubber cup holder insert pulls out to reveal 2 screws and the 4x4 boot hides 2 more.

Once the cup holder is out, 2 more screws are revealed (and any coffee that may have been spilled)

2 more phillips head screws are revealed:

Now you can access 2 more screws that hold the center dash panel in. They are accessed from the underside. You can just make out two screwdriver slots in the bottom of the center dash panel, the screws are around the same location underneath.

Disconnect lots of connectors and then there are 4 screws securing the radio.

Radio out and disconnected...

Glove box out (squeeze the sides of the glove box to allow the opening stops to pass through the opening. The glove box rotates forward and then the hinge at the bottom just unhooks.

Run the interface cable up from the glove box area - it routes behind that silver cross tube, then down between the heater box.

Interface cable from the glove box side. I used a coat hanger to fish and then pullit up from here... (note the stockAmp)

Integration box zip tied to dash structure - I was surprised how secure it was.

Hole drilled in back of glove box and iPod and Aux cables routed through split grommet.

Excess cable coiled and secured behind glove box.

Looking up at glove box in closed position. You can see the grommet center-right and the coiled cables connected to the integration unit.

Back of head unit.

Hook up the head unit and re-assemble everything...

iPOD connected.. check out the Chrysler logo!

Using the mode button, first pass of the SAT channel give you Satelite, second pass gives you iPOD.

Done....

Cheers,
Mark

Old 02-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Default RE: iPOD installation in 2006 RAM (lots of pictures)

Pretty sweet. Do they have a kit for other windows based mp3 players?

Old 02-25-2007, 10:23 PM
The Brit
Rookie

The kit includes a line in jack to connect any MP3 player or input device. However, unlike the iPod connection, you don't have any control of the device from the head unit or steering wheel mounted controls.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:27 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

thats awesome, is that only capable with the navagation system stereo or will it work with others? your install looks great

Old 02-26-2007, 12:36 AM
kpj5br
Rookie

Just wanted to say thanks for the great pics and descriptions!

I (hopefully) will be doing the mopar bluetooth install pretty soon here, and the pics of the dash coming apart are great!

Old 02-26-2007, 01:16 AM
The Brit
Rookie

ORIGINAL: HansonHVAC

thats awesome, is that only capable with the navagation system stereo or will it work with others? your install looks great
It'll work with these head units: REC, RAK, RAQ, and REF (these codes can be found in small text on the front of the unit)

There are some details on e-Bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82209...QQcmdZViewItem

Glad the pictures are helpful.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 02-26-2007, 01:58 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

How much extra cable did you have coiled up underneath the dash? I'd like to do this but I have the 40-20-40 bench seat with the armrest compartment and I'd like to store my ipod in there. Do you think it would have enough cable to run from that compartment to the head unit? I have the REF (I think, which has the aux. in jack on the front of it) but I want to be able to charge and control my iPod from the head unit.

Sweet install write-up, man. I'm sure another one to be posted in the DIY sectionat the top of the forum!

Old 02-26-2007, 02:15 PM
The Brit
Rookie

It might be possible, but you'd have to figure out where to secure the electronics box... either under the cupholder area, or if possible further back under the center seat. I was thinking it would be nice to have the iPod in the center armrest too, but never measured it out. Since the iPod is only controlled by the head unit/steering wheel controls when connected there's no real need to have the iPod close by.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:34 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

There is if I'm too lazy to lean all the way over to the glove box to hook up my ipod every day! I use it every day in the office and in my truck and it would be great if I could just plug it in in the armrest and go rather than trying to play with the iPod controls while in traffic. I'll probably be getting it in a couple weeks. Thanks again for the pics and the info!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Nice pics of the tear down.
(Do you know how loooong it took me to load all those pics with dial-up? [sm=headbang.gif])

Quick Reply: iPOD installation in 2006 RAM (lots of pictures)