3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lubrication of Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:39 AM
Sicko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lubrication of Ball Joints

Hi all!!

Just a quick question about lubricating ball joints and such on a 2006 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi. It is my understanding that the 2500 4X4 needs to have the outer tie rod ends and front drive shaft fitting lubricated under its maintenance schedule. Is anything like this necessary for the 1500. I cannot find any info in the shop manual in regards to this.

Thanks, by the way, great forum!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:12 AM
eds2003ram
Professional
Default RE: Lubrication of Ball Joints

You can't do them with just a grease gun . These are sealed and packed with grease out of factory. The maintanace is refering to the 2500 and 3500 and the stealership will bull ---- you to believe that only they can do it with there special tool. I asked them to show me this special to , cause I was interested in buying one , and the were unable to show me it . So if the you get it done as part of your maintanace get under the truck and check to see if the were repacked . In my opinion , they are full of ---- and just say they do it to have another labor charged to your bill.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 AM
shdw2001h

I have a tool I use to lube the sealed joints, I looks like a needle, it fits in the grease gun. All you have to do is poke it in the rubber seal and pump the grease in. I got mine from the at the local parts store.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:56 AM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just Curious.How are you sealing the hole?
ORIGINAL: shdw2001h

I have a tool I use to lube the sealed joints, I looks like a needle, it fits in the grease gun. All you have to do is poke it in the rubber seal and pump the grease in. I got mine from the at the local parts store.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:10 AM
eds2003ram
Professional

that tool is not the one that the dealer was talking about. They said it was a "special toll" . And I told them that I had the needle type just like the one you guysmentioned and the said that making a hole on the boot would affectthe boots integrity. This is all bull cause I haveused the needle on seeled boots before but have had to keep up with the greasing of them cause eventualy they would leak and dry out threw the pin hole. It is up to you if you want to use the needle.I have yet to see my tie rod boots dry out and they still have enough grease in them after 3 years and 18k miles.

Quick Reply: Lubrication of Ball Joints