3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

vibration under accel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:45 AM
eltupac
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: vibration under accel.

I noticed mine at around 65mph with light acceleration, just enough to keep it at 65mph. At first I tought it was my warped rotors, but this happens with no braking. Then Itought might be the road, but all roads cant have the same problem. Again, it goes away when let off the gas. I guess I have to take it in to the damn dealer. If its something to do with the differential, can I get an upgrade since they have to take it apart? It would only be the part that I have to pay, so 3.92 upgrade. Too bad I did not get it at $50 before buying the truck.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:53 PM
41pawpaw

Garvey07,
If you can, determine whether your vibration accurs with light or heavy accellaration. Mine comes and goes under light and heavy accel'n.
If you look at my past posts, you'll see my vibration experience. I believe its coming from the driveshaft wiich I measured at 52 thousands of an inch which is out of tolerance, of 5-10 thousths. Balancing didn't help. I've had 3 driveshafts in stalled all have about the same runout.
I'm having a time with the dealers..and Daimler Chrysler right now, but I'm not giving up!

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Garvey07

Im swaying towards the driveshaft, Im getting new tires this week sometime or when i get back from work. Ive ruled out a few things but it is a steady vibe with light and hard accel.
It has to be something that spins rapidly because of how fast the vibe is which is consistant thru the speed ranges, so i dont think its the tires. I do need to do a tune up and such as I get the worst fuel mileage Ive seen. 350-400k per tank and that is easy hiway driving.

I just bought this truck and knew there was bound to be some bugs and I am happy with it, its just a matter of getting it back up to par.

working for the man doesnt leave me much time to get as much done as Id like...damn bastard...lol

Old 03-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Garvey07

update...and very blind stupidity

I crawled under the truck with the parking brake set adn the trans in nuetral, gave the driveshaft a wiggle. and sure enough the u-joint to the rear axle was bad. called Dodge about a new u-joint for this truck adn they quoted me $79 CND. I went to Canadian Tire...being canadian...lol and got a heavy duty u-joint for $17.99...installed it and my vibrations are gone. Of course...who ever torqued the wheel lugs before i had this truck did a **** poor job, and I hadnt even noticed but driving home from my cousins garage...my flippin tire fell off going down the hiway.

Called AMA, tow truck lifted the rear end...I stole a lugnut from the other 3 tires and slowly drove home.

I hope this isnt an omen with how my luck is going to be with this truck...lol

Old 03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
eltupac
All Star

What is the u-joint? Is this covered under warranty?

Old 03-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Garvey07

its the little knuckle thing that connects the drift shaft to the axles and transmission...on mine one end didnt have any bearings left and was rusted right out. No I doubt its covered under warranty...depends on how new i guess. But with the right parts store they are cheaper then dealer cost.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This may work on driveshafts that can't be balanced any other way:

http://www.balancemasters.com/driveshafts.html

Old 07-03-2008, 05:58 PM
deezozdodge
Professional

I have an 02, 2.7 liter, Intrepid. In the past I hit an island curb on my driver's side. The car, I thought, was fine, but later it was vibrating over 65 mph and only during the execution on right curves.

I suspect my driveshaft (front wheel drive) or ball joint (which I will have to replace the control arm, because the ball joint on the 02, 2.7 liter Intrepid requires replacing the control arm). Anyone with similar problem?

Old 07-03-2008, 11:09 PM
sos
All Star

A ball joint would probably produce a clunk when turning at any speed, and probably wouldn't vibrate at speed, but you can test the ball joint by lifting the corner of the car with a jack under the control arm (so the weight is on the arm but off the wheel). Get it a couple of inches off the ground. Put a crowbar under the tire and lift - if you get a lot of movement (and usually a clunk) it's the ball joint. It should have very little movement normally. I am very familiar with bad ball joints because I had a 2000 Dodge Dakota that had several bad ones.

I would check your wheel bearings and/or CV joints.

Quick Reply: vibration under accel.