3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 Tow Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4.7 Tow Capacity

ORIGINAL: BgBluRam

I have the 4.7L but i did the 4.56 swap, and it's also lifted.. It pulls my 21ft. Maxum boat with ease, it weighs 4100lbs. .. I also tow my 28ft Prowler (camping trailor), which weighs 6800lbs. fully loaded.. I keep it in overdrive most of the time, and drive the speed limit of 55 with a trailer here in CA. It does fine for the 10 or so camping trips a year pulling the trailor, the boat gets towed just about every weekend in the summer. Been doing it since 2003, truck has never let me down or missed a beat.. I am going to purchase a Superchips soon for the extra towing performance ...
I can believe that a 4.7L tows that much without a problem. We just bought a 4.7L 6 speed 2006 SLT with TRX4 group REGCABSHORTBED and it hauls ***. Not that I've gotten into the throttle at all but i can tell it's got good snuff to it just by how easily it will climb hills and if it bogs down a bit going up a hill just more gas and she goes.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:32 AM
20brewcity02
Professional

ORIGINAL: stump_breaker

I disagree. I did not get the tow package, no 7 pin or receiver, but I got the factory 3.92's, upgraded batterty and alternator and tranny cooler. I also think I have an oil cooler but don't hold me to that. Truck is in the shop and I can't go outside andbe sure. I'm thinking there are two coolers in front of the radiator with the ac condenser set to the side by itself.
same here, no 7 pin and, but did have some super janky hitch that was bolted the bumper support.. but i have everything else that comes with the tow package.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:05 PM
United1
Professional

On my stock 2000D, without the tow package, a cooler, which is typical, is located in the bottom of the radiator. Cooling specs are average for everyday use (marginal at best for towing), which is why I added the external. When you get the tow pkg, the heavy duty pkg comes with it, but you can get only the hd pkg. The hd pkg includes the upgraded battery and alternator. This is probably what you got on yoursstump-breaker, meaning the hd extras but not the hitch or 7-pin. Don't remember an oil cooler as part of the pkg, but if you do, all the better!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:41 PM
BgBluRam
Captain

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

ORIGINAL: BgBluRam

I have the 4.7L but i did the 4.56 swap, and it's also lifted.. It pulls my 21ft. Maxum boat with ease, it weighs 4100lbs. .. I also tow my 28ft Prowler (camping trailor), which weighs 6800lbs. fully loaded.. I keep it in overdrive most of the time, and drive the speed limit of 55 with a trailer here in CA. It does fine for the 10 or so camping trips a year pulling the trailor, the boat gets towed just about every weekend in the summer. Been doing it since 2003, truck has never let me down or missed a beat.. I am going to purchase a Superchips soon for the extra towing performance ...
I can believe that a 4.7L tows that much without a problem. We just bought a 4.7L 6 speed 2006 SLT with TRX4 group REGCABSHORTBED and it hauls ***. Not that I've gotten into the throttle at all but i can tell it's got good snuff to it just by how easily it will climb hills and if it bogs down a bit going up a hill just more gas and she goes.
Yeah it amazes me! Yesterday I pulled out of thecollege parking lot and accellerated hard to get up to speed, and spun the big ol' 35" tires. Could be the new 4.56's and Auburn, but it has plenty of power for me.

Quick Reply: 4.7 Tow Capacity