3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7L aftermarket exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
neveuxpr
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7L aftermarket exhaust question

Hello all, after hearing great things about the site, I decided to sign up and be part of the forum. I'm looking for some info on our exhausts. I'm in the market for a Borla but I'm not sure if I should replace just the muffler or go with an entire cat-back. I've read here the 4.7L has a great stock exhaust but I'm looking for some performance gains and increased MPG. I'm just looking to see if anyone has done this and if the Borla 140010 has larger diameter tubing than stock. I know optimally, I should do it all but I don't want to spend 500.00 if I can get the same results from a 150.00 muffler. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:50 PM
stump_breaker
Captain
Default RE: 4.7L aftermarket exhaust question

I went in to have my exhaust custom built and possibly have duals installed. The shop told me they did not recommend altering the exhaust pipe since it flowed pretty well for stock. If I had any gains they would be minimal and not worth the money spent for the duals. I had them install a 24" glasspack and have loved the sound ever since. I originally had an 18" installed but the sound was deafening on long trips. Mileage gains will be next to impossible without spending a chunck of money but a 4:56 gear swap is worth every cent.

Edit: If you youngsters want to hear an old school 24" pack for a total of $60 for the muffler and install, follow the included link. This is done with a Zen Vision M at 10:30pm located about 6' behind the truck. The truck is in an open carport deep in the woods. At 45 seconds you can hear the roof rattling from the frequencies from the exhaust. For you who know I have a recording studio, there is no editing. This is raw.
Click here to watch Old-School-Exhaust-

Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i was in the same boat as you. i was in between doing a full exhaust or just a muffler. well i ended up ordering the flowmaster exhaust off of summit. comes tommorow so we'll see how it goes

Old 03-08-2007, 09:56 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

I'm looking for an exhaust system too. I was thinking about either the Magnaflow or Aero Turbine single with a dump right before the axle. We have 3" pipes throughout on the stock setup, right?

mdram43, which Flowmaster setup did you end up ordering? Let us know how it goes, I haven't completely ruled FM out yet.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:50 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i had local exhaust install a Flowmaster 40 series si/do 45ed behindboth rear wheels with 4 inch 2 slash cut tipsfor around $300. i love the sound. but im also only 24 so i love it loud and powerful. if you want just a lowe rumble like the borla on the stock rumblebees go with that its just way too expensive.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:39 AM
pakaalbite
Professional

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+ram&hl=en
THIS IS MY '05 RAM WITH FLOMASTER 40 SERIES SINGLE IN DUAL OUT CATBACK EXHAUST

Old 03-09-2007, 01:43 AM
neveuxpr
Amateur

Unfortunately, flowmaster isn't an option for me as it isn't stainless and I live in the New England states where most winter roads are coated in salt. It'd rust out too quickly for me and I'm not into that much of a roar. I like the low grumble and a little performance gain. If I've read correctly, stock system is 3" tubing and Borla cat back is as well so I'd get the same performance out of a Borla muffler swap instead of a full system.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:42 AM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i went with the force II. i had 40 series on my nova a while back. i went with the force 2 with the 50 series/suv performance muffler because i just wanted a little more rumble and flow but without bein too loud.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:58 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i also live in new england. north eastern ma on the nh border.. mine has held up really good. i have the stock 3 inch tubing to the muff ( right under the back seats area) then dual 2.5's to behind the rear tires with two 15 inch stainless tips. the tubing looks just like the stock system which rusts a little but doesnt rust through the tubing. you dont ever go under the truck anbd stare at the tubing anyways and you dont see the tubing. only hting you see is stainless tips and they do get dinged up from teh salt but if you use a really nice metal/chrome polish it can be all cleaned off and shiny again. no need for a full stainless syetm at all just a waste of money.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:02 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

typing is terribletoday. keyboard at work is messed up. low rumble the borla would be good its just a lot of money. if you get the mopar/borla system. def not worth it.

Quick Reply: 4.7L aftermarket exhaust question