3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HID Install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 04:22 AM
WaTTslOk187
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Install help

Guys I have a question regarding an HID install in a 2002 Dodge ram. Everything is installed correctly but it appears I am not getting a full 12 volts from the stock wiring. It is not triggering the relay. The relay TRIES to come on and clicksbut there just isn't enough power to keep it on. I check the voltage from the stock harness and it fluctuates anywhere from 10.5 volts to 11 volts. When it hits 11 volts I believe that is when it makes the relay try to come on and click. I jumped power from the battery to the relay "Trigger wire" and sure enough powers up. Any suggestions?

Has anyone had this low voltage headlight problem? I already know about the light bulb out light on the dash. But my problem is the voltage. Please help me out guys.

Thanks

Old 03-18-2007, 02:13 AM
somerandomguy175
Professional
Default RE: HID Install help

i have 2 sets of hids on my 2004 dodge ram 1500 headlights and fog lights...i did not have this problem heres how my set up was installed

[IMG]local://upfiles/38909/B54B78FE5ECB48FCA46A918A4B3BF7A5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-12-2007, 02:17 PM
MRYUK23

I have the same problem. The company told me I could pull a fuse not telling me which one. Or take it to dodge and have them disable the function on the ecu. Dont know how true it is. Let me know if you figure it out thanks!

Old 07-12-2007, 06:34 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your battery if fine, meaning that you have 12-14 volts while running, and you have a voltage drop of 3 volts to your relay, then you might have some shotty wiring. If you purchased from Ebay or a discount place they try to skimp on the wiring. When the heat of the V8 and lengths of the wire are figured in, you can have a significant voltage drop through the wire alone. The same thing can happen with the relay. It might state that it is a 12V relay but the componets can actually try to draw more current than needed causing a voltage drop at the relay and not at the wiring. If your lights turn on by jumping the relay and direct wire to the battery, then most likely it will be the relay. I would call the dealer that sold it to you and let them that the relay is causing a significant voltage drop from your battery and might be defective and would like anouther one. The last thing that I can think of is the age of the battery. Make sure your battery fluids are topped off as it might have enough power to control all of you truck options now, but might be time to replace the battery. Try turning on the lights with everything turned off and the car running. Hope this helps a little.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:40 AM
TraptuR
Rookie

in regards to the light bulb out light on the dash. .. i have the problem also. i already installed ceramicresistors on one of the lights in order for them to function, but how do i get the dang dashlight to go out.?

Old 07-14-2007, 01:18 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

buyhid.com sells a hid canceller that fixes that lamp out problem.... its kind of expensive though... if you go to suvlights.com they sell the h13 connector with a little pigtail. if your relay harness only has one of teh stock bulb connectors plugged then jump in the h13 pigtail, that way you can plug the relay harness into both stock connectors..... i just ordered the connectors so i will let you guys know how it works out...

Old 07-14-2007, 11:19 PM
TraptuR
Rookie

my truck doesnt use h13 bulbs. they are 9007's . i know there is a difference because i tried the h13's first.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:14 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

traptur.. suvlights.com also sells 9007 pigtails ( a pigtail is the connector and pins with a little bit of wire so you can splice into other wiring) so buy the 9007 and get some wiring ( easy for me i work at a place that has every type of wire you would ever need) and connecto to both connectors instead of one. i used 2 30 amp fuses instead of the 2 20 amp the relay came with and it all seems to work alot smoother.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:44 PM
cobraman

I had the same problem at first with my kit. I decided to rewire and ditch the relays and wire directly to the factory harness. Guess what, Worked great! No bulb out light anymore and the lights come on fine. Been that way for almost 3 years. I have low beams, high beams, and fogs. If anyone is looking for a quality kit I can get them. I belong to a mustang club and alot the guys in my club wanted them so for about the same price of a cheap kit that always goes bad (had some of them in earlier cars ) this new kit I get right from the manufacture. I can get for all kinds of cars, colors from 4200K all the way till 12000K, and even weird colors like pink (altho I doubt anybody would like pink headlights, and they are only for off road anyways) I can get different kinds of bulbs that include the two beam kits, the cheaper low-hid, hi-halogen kits, or the bi-hid kits with a motorized hi/low feature. Then there are the best kits that have 2 ballasts per bulb and 2 seperate beams per bulb. Both beams are true HIDs and both will fire in hi beam. If any one is interested, PM me or send me an email at stang302ho@sbcglobal.net. I have a set price list but the shipping is cheaper with the more orders I send in at once. I am not a "dealer" I just do this on the side for my buddies who want them.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

my lights are 9007s but when i got silverstars i got h13s and they are fine....sylvania.com classifies h13s and 9007 as interchangable....i would like to get hids soon, but is there a dif on h13 and 9007 or not?

Quick Reply: HID Install help