3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 05:09 PM
slt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering

Does anyone have any idea why I get a vibration and a small rumble when turning the steering wheel to the left? It only does it when you turn to the left, not the right. Usually only does it when the truck is in gear. Any suggestions, ideas?? Power Steering fluid is fine.

2005 hemi standard cab
27000 mi,
mopar cai
flowmaster 50 series

Old 03-20-2007, 07:37 PM
2005DODGERAm
Professional
Default RE: power steering

same thing happends on my 06, i have no idea what it is

Old 03-21-2007, 12:58 AM
wyorat

Check your power steering fluid and rack and pinion boots and seals. This rack and pinion is notorious for the high pressure line leaks. I had to replace my unite twice. They fixed it the last time with a simple hose clamp. The factory one was crap. The unite will whine if it's low on fluid and vibrate. I started carrying powersteering fluid on me at all times just in case it got low on me while I was on a hunt. Another buddy a mine just had the same problem with his 04. He only had 16k miles on the truck. He caught it before it did any damage. The biggest promlem is that the whine is subtle at first and barrely noticable to the point that you don't realize it's happening. I suggest everyone with an 03 up 1500 keep an eye on their power steering fluid levels. I'm going to keep an eye on this 07 I just bought.[:-]

Old 03-21-2007, 10:39 AM
slt

10/4 thanks, I will check it today. Mine does have a very slight whine at idle, i figured that was probably the alternator though.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:05 PM
motorhead426
All Star

I'd check your CV boots and make sure the front axle shafts are tight. Also take a look at the front suspension. I have 34,000 miles on my 2005, and the upper ball joints are shot, with the tie rod ends and lower ball joints probably close behind. Which is why I'm replacing all 6 pieces this weekend with MOOG parts.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 AM
hemi348

ya my hose is leaking power steering fliudatm, it is at a clamp as well. Said they fixed that last time lol. [&o]

Old 03-23-2007, 04:43 AM
somebodyinok
Professional

ORIGINAL: slt

10/4 thanks, I will check it today. Mine does have a very slight whine at idle, i figured that was probably the alternator though.
I thought that the alt. was whining on mine too until I put on some belt dressing. The pulley on the ps stopped and so did the whine. I also have some ps fluid in it at the present moment, the leak has stopped but it still makes some noise. I will be flushing it soon though

Old 03-24-2007, 01:06 AM
wyorat

Said the same to me on my first two replacements( of entire rack and pinion). Cleaned nipple and put hose on with factory clamp. On third, they added a standard adjustable hose clamp and I'm sure they cranked on it. Seemed to work. I had about 60k miles on my 04 when it happened the third time. I do a lot of hunting here in Wyoming which requires a ton of hours cranking the wheel down old 2 track roads in the mountains and red desert. I also have a heavy foot when I'm trying to cover ground out here. 70mph down the better dirt roads. They said I was probably abusing my truck. What do they think a 4x4 was built for? Looking pretty in the drive way! The faster you go, the smoother the ride!These trucks are capable or more than they know.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:50 PM
kctango

SLT,
have you got your issue resolved???
I have the same problem with my truck, 2004Quad Hemi.
The dealer has replaced my entire rack and pinion. The problem has returned.

Vibration when only turning to the left, really bad at slower speeds.
CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY IDEAS.

Quick Reply: power steering