3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please describe your "noises" with MDS with CAI and/or Superchips

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Dodgeville
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Please describe your "noises" with MDS with CAI and/or Superchips

I Have owned my '06 QC 4X4 since July '06 and have had no problems whatsoever. I installed a K&N CAI Air Charger Last Friday and noticed a "clunking" sound when I'm cruisingaround 30-45 mph and when I'm at 55 or 60 on the highway. If the CAI is the cause I would like to know why if anybody knows. How come you can't hear it when the stock Air Filter and Resonator or installed? Just wondering because it sounds like %*$! and sounds like the engine is a piece of.... when it does this.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:46 PM
jermag24
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Dodgeville

I Have owned my '06 QC 4X4 since July '06 and have had no problems whatsoever. I installed a K&N CAI Air Charger Last Friday and noticed a "clunking" sound when I'm cruisingaround 30-45 mph and when I'm at 55 or 60 on the highway. If the CAI is the cause I would like to know why if anybody knows. How come you can't hear it when the stock Air Filter and Resonator or installed? Just wondering because it sounds like %*$! and sounds like the engine is a piece of.... when it does this.
When you say "clunking", do mean a constant tapping noise or a one-time clunk noise? I installed an intake recently, and sometimes I get a constant tapping when accellerating. Sounds like a valve tapping noise, but more from the r/h side of the engine bay, by the intake. Def sounds like crap, and shouldn't be there with only 11k miles!Guess I could put the stock intake back on to see if it goes away?

Old 04-04-2007, 12:47 AM
djr04
All Star

update: I did notice a hard shift driving softly in the 35 mph range. I have always noticed hard shifts from 1st to 2nd, and I believe that is what I felt this time. It did not seem to be anything that would harm the engine or transmission, so I'm not sure if this is the same issue you guys have.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 AM
hemiman07
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also hearing like a tapping or clicking sound upon acceleration, trying to figure out where its coming from. Kind of annoying.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Dodgeville

it makes a clunk when it goes to mds I believe. everytime it goes to mds i hear a clunk and i never heard that before with it all stock. like i said i have to be going about 30-45 in town or 55-60 on highway. if i put it in OD off it will not make this noise.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 PM
jumpdagun

I recently put a post about this very same problem. I have an 06 ram 5.7 Hemi mds, mopar cai and dual out magnaflow exhaust. From all the replies, and everything I've been reading it all seems quite obvious that the MDS kicking in is the "noise" we're all hearing. I guarantee that compression change from 4 to 8 cylinders was there before but we couldn't here it do to the air box and the resonator being there. Those two items acted as a silencer if you will. Someone replied to me saying that the big hollow cai tube now magnafied the sound, any sound. Even that slight clicking noise upon early acceleration. I think jermag24is right when he says it sounds like a valve. It seems like it's the throttle body opening up a bit and slightly flapping quickly until you apply enough throttle to open the port and allow a steady flow of air. I'm going to write to Dodge and see if anyone there can verify what it is we're hearing. Maybe even shed a little light on the situation. I really don't think this noise is any kind of mechanicalproblem; just annoying if anything.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Foiled
Veteran

kpj5br,

I have had my truck in stock mode for a week and a half now and I have not got it to do the shifting at all. I am stumped.

Engine temp is not a problem for me. I can start the truck up and leave my house and it will do it less then 1 mile from my home.

I took my truck in to the dealership yesterday because my truck would not start yesterday morning. I went to work and came home for lunch and it started and the check engine light was on. They told me they did some flashes to the computers and they had to replace the battery which is odd because I had power in the truck but when I turned the key nothing would happen. The volt gauge was showing an ok level.

Anyway I am going to put my SC back in this weekend and see if I still have the shift problems.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:36 PM
kpj5br
Rookie

Hmmm, sorry to hear that foiled.

In my particular case I have now totally convinced myself this is MDS, and MDS alone that is doing this, not superchips, here's the logic progression I'm using for that:

- Stock ->> No noises
- Stock + CAI ->> Mild, but perceptible noises
- Stock + CAI + SC ->> Noises CLEARLY heard, do not have to listen hard at all

So my conclusions:

These "noises" are there all along, but the stock air intake is very large and made of heavy, hard plastic, dampening the noises to the point of being a silencer.

Remove that hulking intake, replace with a CAI, and there is nothing to supress the noises, so we are able to start to here them.

Tune up the engine with SC, and it gets even louder (and in my case at least becomes "feelable").

I don't have an aftermarket exhaust so I didn't include that in the analysis, but I can see how getting rid of the stock resonator(s) and/or muffler could also increase the audible nature of this.

So, I'm in the same boat as most, I know write this off as totally MDS, I still say it's very annoying, but it does make me feel better that it's probably not a tranny thing.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Ok,
I have done my mods.

I went with much less agressive mods than most of you guys. ie Drop in Air Filter vs CAI and Muffler only (leaving stock front resonator and stock rear tail pipe and resonator) vs Full Cat backs or Duals.

My neighbor has a heavly moded 04 Hemi 4WD 1500. Hetells me the clicking sound is the EGR valve and that the CAI amplifies the EGR valve noise.They do make a baffle for it.However you lose someair flow from the use of the baffle.

I was a little afraid after reading this thread. Butmy modsseem to have cured my shift problems.

Hope this info about the clicking EGR valve helps.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Foiled
Veteran

Pappy_FB,

What sort of sound do you get leaving the resonators on? I want a little bit more sound from my exhaust but I do not want it loud. I do not want it to be loud while on the highway but just a little louder during acceleration.

Quick Reply: Please describe your "noises" with MDS with CAI and/or Superchips