3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:44 PM
StarrFlight
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?

All I want is for my lockers to work! The PW comes with a winch. After spending $40K on a new PW, I would hate to have to install after market lockers. The PW lockers are electric units.

My point was to try and find out if PW lockers suck or Jimmy1 and my problems are rare.

Love the truck, but why spend the money for something that doesnot work as advertised.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:01 PM
BillSchmill
Rookie

Agreed. You paid for lockers, they should work<period>. Electric huh? Are the Auburns? I think that's what they put in the Toyotas.[/align][/align]I don't know much about PWs. I didn't realize that they come with a winch. [/align][/align]Ilike Starrflights idea. Start a poll.[/align][/align]Good luck you guys. I hope DC makes it right and resolves your problems. [/align][/align]P.S. Synthetic line is still a good safety feature. You ever seen steel winch line snap under load? It can cut a man in half...[/align]

Old 03-23-2007, 09:07 PM
coder

Hello,

The PW lockers are made by American Axle & Manufacturing, see link to there differential page below. I have a new 07 PW just tried the locker for the first time last week, as long as I do what the manual says 4WD-LOW, below 5mph, serve side-to-side or in a circle, they lock-up. I would be interested to know if anyone has figured out way to over-ride the locker controls so they can be used in 4WD-HIGH?

(PW Locker are electric so maybe they are the TracRite EL or TracRite ECV)
http://www.aam.com/technology/tech_p...iff.html#TRECV

Old 03-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Jimmy1
Amateur

Im glad yours work for you especially so simple and fast. I dont think there is a way to make them work in 4whigh...great idea though. Thanks for the link I just conatcted the company to told them my problem...Ill keep ya posted

Old 03-23-2007, 11:11 PM
StarrFlight

Coder,

I also thank you for the link. I emailed them as well.

My guess is that Jimmy and I are not the only ones who have this problem. The dealer said they have no service bulletin regarding this problem but then again, they sell cars for a living. Now American Axle & Manufacturing is a deferent story, I am sure they want to help.

Jimmy, if you here from them please let me know! I will do the same.

What to you think about a survey of PW owners? where should it be posted? 3rd generation?

Old 03-24-2007, 02:22 AM
06POWERWAGON

My lockers work fine, although the first couple times I had to do an "S turn" to get the front to lock. The last time I was playing in the snow I foundthat backing up acouple feet, then forward encourages them to lock. Maybe I am lucky,because I have heard of others complain too.

I also plan on installing a couple switches to engage the lockers anytime (not just 4 LO). The dash switches, CANbus serial communications with the trans info and Software decide if you can engage the lockers or not. The schematics show 4 wires to each axle (Supply, Return, Locker source, and Sensor sense). I figure a switch anda relay for each axle should provide an over-ride while keeping the dash switches functional. I just want to find a good place to tap into the harness soa dealership mechanic won't notice in case I need some warrantee work done. (or if I screw something up!)

Old 03-24-2007, 06:37 AM
Powerubi Wacon
Veteran

I have had the same problems. The dealer (Jeep) was not able to verify my complaint. I took it to a Jeep dealer because I figured that they would be able to diagnose the problem better since Jeep has had factory lockers (Wrangler Rubicon) since 2003.They said that they operated right away. Sometimes they will engage within about 25 feet. Most of the time they will not engage even after driving down the trail a mile. Long after I needed them.
My Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, also with factory lockers, will, nine times out of ten, lock up within about 15-25 feet. The Jeep set-up uses vacuum pumps for the locker actuation.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:52 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

06POWERWAGON Be careful with connecting switches to override the lockers. A new computer is about $1000...

My lockers worked OK. I will be replacing the ft/rear diff fluids soon for the 15k mile recommended drain. Will report here any nasty metal wear, etc.

You other guy's know that the lockers and smart bar will disengage/ not engage at speeds greater than ~18 mph, right?

Old 03-25-2007, 06:00 PM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

ORIGINAL: M14

ORIGINAL: StarrFlight

M14
That is how my PW use to work. They have replaced the harness and a manual override will make the actuator work. The dealer has been on the phone with the factory and they guess it is a "computer glitch".
Manual override? Is this a Dodge part I can get as I would be interested.
The Tech is using his diagnostic computer to tell the truck's computer to turn on the lockers. This is the only sure fire safe way to do it.

It would be nice if one of the aftermarket programmers offered this feature for us to control,but I doubt they would ever do it because of the potential lawsuits they could be slapped with when an accident occured from improper use.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:19 PM
StarrFlight

Yep,A program to override the system would be handy but I agree, it would need to be a boot leg due to the lawyers. Same goes for lockers working in 4x4 high.

Well at least the posts gives me hope that there are PW owners who have lockers that function. I hope someone out there has had a similar issue as JimmyandIbut had it resolved with information of the solution. My best guess is that for my PW it is a computer issue.

My perfect truck would be 100% manual. A lever can be overridden but how do you override a computer chip in the field? With my 1976 land cruiser a piece of bailing wire, duct tape and a small tool kitwill get you out of just about any situation.

Quick Reply: Power Wagon Problems-what Lockers?