3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Taillight Bulb Replacement Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:10 PM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Taillight Bulb Replacement Help

It may be the sun or I may just be dumb, or sick of working on cars today, but I can't figure out how to get the right taillight assembly off to replace my middle (stop) bulb. Can anyone help me? I got the side screws off with the Torque head screws, but there seem to be some plugs or something in the back holding it in. Any ideas? Is it really this hard?

Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Default RE: Taillight Bulb Replacement Help

No, not really. I had the same problem with mine also the first time. Once you pull the assembly out, you're going to have to twist the bulb out of it's socket. Might even be better if you wore a pair of heavy duty gloves, to get a good hold.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:07 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Also, the whole assembly comes out. You're going to have pull hard.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:11 AM
eds2003ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are two plastic nipples on the opposite side of the tail light . They go into a rubber plug that is fixed to the side fender.They sit in there pretty tight and you have to try to pull the housing out without tiltingthe tail light housingout to much. Try the top one first by slipping you fingers in threw the top and using them as a pry bar by pushing the housing up against your fingers and the fender. Use some gloves while doing it , you may get cut. Then try the bottom one from under the truck or wiggle it until it comes out. Just be carefull not to bend the fender doing this cause they will not line up properly when you reinstall them.Hope this helps.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:59 AM
dirtydodge02
Banned

Or you might do what I did and bend the tabs. Thank God I didn't bend the fender.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:29 AM
hemi348

ya the rubber pegs are still holding it on.. just yank on it and it will pop off.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:39 AM
BgBluRam
Captain

Don't know what you guys are talking about bending the fender?? You just unscrew those two hex bolts, and pull the peg out of the little rubber grommet. It takes a little bit of force, but not enough to bend the fender or anything.

Then there is an electrical connector, you will have to push (or pull) a little red lock-type plastic piece out in order to unplug it from the harness. (remember to press the red lock back in when you reinstall the taillight)

Once you have the taillight off, there are about 8 screws that you need to remove on the backside of the light assy. Once you remove those, it gives you access to the bulbs which just pop out. Press the new bulb in, and reinstall.

Piece of cake. So easy a cave man could do it!

Quick Reply: Taillight Bulb Replacement Help