3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

painted door handles

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:07 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default painted door handles

anyone tried painting or powdercoating their door handles the same color as the truck? i been thinkin about powdercoating them cause i dont think the paint would stick and then it would still have th texture of the handles whereas powdercoating would cover the texture and make them smooth....gettin tired of havin to worry about not gettin wax on them...pain in the *** to get that off if it dries

Old 03-28-2007, 04:00 AM
HighDuke1911
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: painted door handles

lol... i noticed you absolutely LOVE powdercoating! hahahaha. hey, it seems like a good idea though. it is a pain in the *** to get the wax off too. well, tell me how it goes, i just might do it myself...

Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 AM
Frenchy
Banned

How would you bake the powder onto plastic? :-\

My only issue. Otherwise, if you had a body shop prep the handles correctly, paint would suffice.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:17 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

put it in a oven and bake it at 400F, that plastic shouldnt melt or disfigure at 400F i wouldnt think.....

yah man i love powdercoating stuff, i just got that Craftsman powdercoat gun and i powdercoat anything and everything i can get my hands on lol

Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 PM
HaOsLsE

hehe..nice. Wish I could do stuff like that without messing stuff up [:@]

Another suggestion is to put putco chrome covers. Worked and looked great on my 04, had them on all handles, tailgate one too, and mirrors. Only had driver side handle withkeyhole, so it looked pretty sleek. Bout to get some on my 07 now...If I recall handels should cost aroudn 120 shipped and mirros about 60.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:59 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

yah i'm doin the whole saving money thing...i got some money but already have it spent on performance mods and bein in college ya dont have alot of money to start with anyway lol

Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

When I had my '98 Dakota I was looking into doing this. I found a little how-to on a different site. HERE. He goes into a lot of detail about taking the hanles off, but it is off of his Dakota. What is good is he goes through all the prep-work stages and it comes out really nice. I'd say page 4 of his how-to is the one you should pay attention too. He talks about sanding down the texture and applying adhesion promoter. Something to at least get you started. Baking plastic sounds pretty risky.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
schaady
Rookie

I see that you are trying to save moneu BUT you could have the door handles shaved completely. Then getting wax on them wouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:37 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

Now you're talking! Just wish I knew how to weld and paint....... and had a garage to work in.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:06 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

yah i thought about goin the shaved handles route...but there again, i'm trying to save money because i have none lol..thanks for the suggestion tho

bigjrussell, thanks for that article...i'll check it out and see what he does to prep it and i might end up goin the same route he did...thanks

Quick Reply: painted door handles