3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow catback!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 03:22 PM
riley1374
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow catback!

Trying to decide which catback system looks best and gives the best performance, flowmaster or magnaflow. Also if anyone has any pics of the dual rear set up it would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 12-28-2007, 03:27 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Default RE: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow catback!

I dont mean to be "that guy" but there is TONS of information on this. Try this link out: https://dodgeforum.com/m_835725/tm.htm
And BTW welcome to the forum!

Old 12-28-2007, 03:43 PM
HEMI07
Veteran

I went with the magnaflow on my 07. I was told by numerous people that the magnaflow sounds alot better on the newer hemi's, especially with MDS. I'm happy with mine. I'm sure a flowmaster would sound good too.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:13 PM
riley1374

Thanks guys! Yeah I saw the "which exhaust" post, but did'nt see many pics of these installed in the dual rear. Appreciate all the posts!

Old 12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Mattcmdr
Professional

yea magnaflow for sure and actually with the way the hemi is set up on sum applications even the 40 series flowmaster flows less then stock

Old 12-28-2007, 06:36 PM
JCPlowing
Rookie

flowmaster super 40 w/ high flow cats on my truck, and its soo loud, sounds sick! email for pictures

Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

For performance you want a straight-through muffler like magnaflow...for sound it's hard to beat a chambered muffler like flowmaster but they're very restrictive. See a cut-out of a flowmaster and then just pick up a magnaflow and look through it...you'll see what I mean.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:44 PM
JCPlowing
Rookie

im not too sure about the flowmaster being restrictive, becauseme friend has a magniflow race exhaust it sounds good(on a 5.9 ram)but my truck is way louder, its so loud that its too loud, everthing in the truck rattles when i take off, but it seems that the exhaust is deeper sounding tone when your going easy then mid throttle, but you punch it and its like my harley Loud As F*ck! it sounds like there is no restriction at all, also i went from 15mpg to 17.9 on the highway, but as soon as the intake went on it dropped t0 13.... o well i didnt get a hemi for gas milage!!!!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:20 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

ORIGINAL: JCPlowing

....also i went from 15mpg to 17.9 on the highway, but as soon as the intake went on it dropped t0 13.... o well i didnt get a hemi for gas milage!!!!
You dropped mileage with an intake?!?!?!? WTF do you still have it on there, if so WHY?!?!? What kind is it so I can make sure to steer clear of it? I understand you didnt buy the Hemi for gas mileage, but you didnt buy the intake to lose some did you?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:28 PM
JCPlowing
Rookie

well, i 1st had a 2003 hemi i put a K&N intake on it, then the exhaust, well i traded that truck in this past summer, i took the K&N off and put the stock intake back on with the flowmaster exhaust, i went from getting 14mph to 17mph on the highway, now i have a 2004 i put the exhaust on 1st then i got a AFE cold air intake, JUNK!!!!! it is 50%less sound then the K&N and still loss in milage, i rather have the sound if im losing milage, but i did some research and found that the best intake is the true flow intake system, it doesnt make the sound but it has dyno proven increase in HP and proven gain in MPG.... i paid 350 for the AFE the true flow uses the stock 5.7 cover and is only 250.00..... so i guess if you want the sound get a K&N or AFE, but if you want results get a true flow.. thats what ive gotten from looking at other forums about intakes..
jeff

Quick Reply: Flowmaster vs. Magnaflow catback!